Problem Cake Turned Out To Be Favorite Yet!(Long)

Decorating By mdutcher Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 2:36am by gilpnh

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:01am
post #1 of 15

Oh my, almost everything that could go wrong (short of dropping it) did go wrong!!
I had my bows setting up on the counter and my daughter decided to RUB her apple on them (yes I said rub! Don't ask me why!) Luckily I made extras and they were barely out of her reach.
I made a raspberry mousse filling, but it never set up, too runny--had to use raspberry jam, instead (scraped the jar clean, too).
At 10:30 p.m. the night before it's due, I realize as I'm coloring the frosting, I don't have enough brown color to achieve the "latte" color that was requested!! UUUGHH!!
I stay up till 1 a.m. just cutting the cake to size because I decided to be cheap and not buy 4" and 6" cake pans!
At 7 a.m., I fill and stack the individual tiers and crumb coat and then realize the middle tier has 4 layers instead of 3! so I take a layer out and replace top layer.
Run out the door at 9 to go the 1 hour round trip to Michaels to buy more brown!
Get the perfect color and realize, not only do I not have enough frosting left, I'm out of Crisco!!--out to Target (20 mins round trip). Ice, decorate and have just enough time to roll out mmf for "ribbon" (which I ended up putting on the side of cake that I deamed "the back"!!) Thank heavens it covered the 2 flaws and whallah: it even looks good from behind!! icon_biggrin.gif
Thankfully I got it there without a hitch!! (I just repeated "please don't fall" the whole way there!)
That all being said, I'm so proud of this cake!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
mdutcher Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:05am
post #2 of 15

oops!!!! in my excitement, I forgot to post the pic!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
LL

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:28am
post #3 of 15

OMG, mdutcher, that cake was such a pain (more so than either of my two labors/deliveries)!!!

But you persevered, and produced an incredibly beautiful cake icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

And now really, doesn't the satisfaction of accomplishment make it all worthwhile thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Congratulations princess.gif

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #4 of 15

Wow, What a beautiful and elegant cake! It turned out wonderful! thumbs_up.gif

hspree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hspree Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #5 of 15

I love your cake! Beautiful colors and you handled everything like a pro!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:39am
post #6 of 15

WOW!!! icon_eek.gif Looks absolutely puurrfect to me icon_biggrin.gif K'ly

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:39am
post #7 of 15

I love it, so pretty!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:39am
post #8 of 15

VERY nice!!! Great job!!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:39am
post #9 of 15

that is an absolutely gorgeous cake! Good job and we have all had those same frustrations.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:41am
post #10 of 15

All that drama and look at the lovely results. A beautiful cake!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:43am
post #11 of 15

Beautiful!!!! It paid off ...now go get some sleep!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:46am
post #12 of 15

Gorgeous! (And cocoa powder works to tint icing brown, in a pinch... thumbs_up.gif )

mdutcher Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:18am
post #13 of 15

Thanks so much!!
I can't believe sooooo much went wrong with this cake--and so much back peddaling!!!! My dh was getting pretty frustrated(he was like Uh, how much did you charge for this cake??? then I get the lecture about how I'm not making enough per hour to be worth my time, blah, blah, blah), but in the last hour he was actually in there getting me things I needed, moving stuff out of the way, he even moved the explorer to the end of the driveway (horrible incline!) and carried the cake out for me!! icon_biggrin.gif I said I prefer to handle my own cakes, but he said I needed to chill because my hands were so shakey!!
I'm so glad it's over, and hopefully I've learned some valuable lessons!!

btw, Kitagrl
I couldn't use cocoa because it would have caused too much of a chocolate taste and she said she didn't want chocolate. Thanks, though.

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #14 of 15

It did turn out great, even though you had to go through a lot to get it there. Great job!

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:36am
post #15 of 15

Sounds like giving birth to me....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%