Printing On Chocolate, What Sheets Do I Print On?

Sugar Work By Chef_Mommy Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 8:23pm by emie

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever done image transfers onto chocolate? I want to be able to print an image fro my computer and transfer that t my tempered chocolate. What paper do you use to print the image on and how you transfer it to the chocolate. I want to use the sheets as transfer for bon bons and round lollipops. Please let me know if you could help. Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks
Jackie

5 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 6

I am a bit confused. The designs that are transfered from acetate paper to chocolate (transfer sheets) are colored cocoa butter stamps, they adhere to the chocolate as it sets. But if you are speaking of a printed image on edible icing sheets I don't know how that could be done. I suppose you can reverse your design so when you laid the printed sheet onto the chocolate you would get a reverse image. But I don't know if an icing sheet would work on melted chocolate. Maybe set chocolate but I would think it would be chewy, it wouldn't kind of melt in or meld the way it would with buttercream icing. I am curious to see what others have to say about this, or if they have tried it.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

I have seen others on cc say they used a chocolate transfer. The only way I know to create "characters" and such is to use a transfer in the same way you would use a fbct (asided from the sheets that are a continuous design). Anyway, I am glad this was brought up as I am curious if there are chocolate transfer "character" sheets available out there. Anyone?

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 6

I am not 100% sure and would bow to others who know better than me but with icing you use rice paper and I would think that you could also use that on chocolate. You print your image on rice paper from your computer and place it on top of the set chocolate. But I would suggest that you pt it on straight out of the fridge or as soon as its hard so they is a bit of condensation to adhere the rice paper. Thats my thought for what its worth

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 6

The only thing that will really blend into/onto chocolate is more chocolate or cocoa butter. Obviously, you can stick any image onto a piece of chocolate, probably even an edible image frosting sheet by just warming the surface of the chocolate as you are ready to apply the image. I've never had chocolate with either a frosting sheet image on it, or a wafer paper image. I can tell you that wafer paper is bland and somewhat crunchy (they make communion hosts out of the same thing). I'm not sure that either would "compliment" the chocolate very well.

Chocolate transfers are made, as ShirleyW said, of colored cocoa butter printed on acetate sheets. You pour warm chocolate over the transfer and after the chocolate sets up, you peel off the acetate and the image remains on the chocolate piece.

You can have custom made chocolate transfer sheets made, but the cost is usually very prohibitive. There's a set-up fee and a minimum order fee. The example below is from sugarcraft.com

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/transfersheets.htm#custom

Custom 12x16 inch Transfer Sheets - 300 sheet minimum ($2.75 per sheet) one color $825.00
Set-up plate charge (one-time charge) $150.00

The chocolate "transfers" often referred to here on CC are images outlined and filled in using melted chocolate. Once the piece sets up, it's set on/on top of a cake, etc.

HTH
Rae

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 6

I use frosting sheets to print my edible image & brush a thin layer of piping gel to adhere it to the choc. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%