Whipped Cream Icing For Decorating?

Baking By Michie21 Updated 11 May 2006 , 9:44pm by Michie21

Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all,

I'm looking for an alternative to Butter Cream icing that will still allow decorating. Butter Cream is too sweet for my tates and I really prefer Whipped Cream icing. Does anyone know of a good Whipped Cream icing recipe that will hold up for basic flowers and decorations? Something along the same lines as Medium consistancy Butter Cream icing?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

~Michelle[/center]

8 replies
newdec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newdec Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 9

Never tried this myself, but here's one I found:

Decorating Whipped Cream Icing

Yield

1 1/2 to 2 cups

Ingredients

1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sifted confectioners (powdered) sugar
2 tablespoons piping gel
1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract

Directions

Combine whipping cream and sugar in mixing bowl. Whip to soft peaks. Add piping gel and vanilla, then continue to whip until you have stiff peaks. Do not overbeat.

Additional Information

Use immediately.

You can use frozen non-dairy whipped topping or packaged topping mix for icing your cake. Thaw frozen whipped topping in refrigerator before coloring. Use packaged topping mix immediately after preparing. Do not allow either to stay at room temperature, as it becomes too soft to use.

Storage

Store decorated cake in refrigerator until ready to serve.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 9

Wilton's Whipped Icing is nice. It's stabalized (sp?) so you can still use it for roses and such. Tastes pretty good too. Another one to try but I don't know where you can get it is Rich's Bettercream. I used this at a bakery I worked at and it comes in paper milk carton containers and you have to put it in your stand mixer to whip it. This stuff worked great for flowers and borders and everything but you have to be careful not to over or under whip it. Very touchy stuff.
HTH,
Heather

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 9

Have you tried an Italian Meringue buttercream? I would try that first, it's a lot more stable.

If not look for a recipe with gelatin in it. Some are called "stabilized whip cream" (do a search for it on this website and you'll come up with a lot.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItYours

I always use the Super-Stabilized Whipped Cream recipe from the The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I love this recipe and it always turns out perfect for me.

Makes 2 Cups

1/2 to 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin (I use 1 tspn Knox original)
4 teaspoons water
1 cup of heavy cream
1 Tablespoon of sugar (I usually add aprx 3 Tbls to make sweeter)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Refridgerate the mixing bowl and beater for at least 15 minutes.

In a small heatproof measuring cup place gelatin and water. Allow to soften 5 minutes. Set cup in a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally until gelatin is dissolved. (I use the microwave on high power for about 10 seconds or so and stir.) Remove cup and cool to room temperature (about 7 minutes.) Gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.

In the chilled bowl beat the cream and sugar just until traces of beater marks begin to show distinctly. Add the gelatin mixture in a steady stream, beating constantly. Add vanilla and beat just until stiff peaks form when beater is raised. Use at once to pipe roses. To keep their shape, freeze the roses before placing them on the cake. Whipped cream can be refrigerated for a few hours before piping rosettes.

I hope this helps you,

Dawn

Michie21 Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!

umfalcon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umfalcon Posted 9 May 2006 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 9

I was just about to ask this very question. Thanks

Michie21 Posted 11 May 2006 , 2:22am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by umfalcon

I was just about to ask this very question. Thanks

I haven't actually tried it yet, so if and when you do I'd love to hear how it turned out!!

glad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glad Posted 11 May 2006 , 8:44am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdec

Never tried this myself, but here's one I found:

Decorating Whipped Cream Icing

Yield

1 1/2 to 2 cups

Ingredients

1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sifted confectioners (powdered) sugar
2 tablespoons piping gel
1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract

May I ask if piping gel same as piping jelly? I could not get piping gel, instead they only sell piping jelly; the shop assistant wasn't sure if they are the same.

Thanks.

Michie21 Posted 11 May 2006 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 9

Glad-

I'm not sure what piping jelly is but the piping gel I buy from Michael's Arts and crafts look like clear 'hair gel' and it's kind of sticky. So if the jelly you bought has the same consistancy, I dont see why it wouldn't work, but that's just an assumption. I may be wrong. Hope this helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%