Moving Away Themed Cake?

Decorating By Bubbles Updated 23 Feb 2006 , 6:22pm by Susecita

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 6

Well, I am so sad because my best friend is being transfered to Denver. So we all want to throw her a big going away part. She has been so supportive of my small cake business and has really , and I would like to make her something special. Any ideas for a cake?

5 replies
tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 6

do you like using fondant?

You could do a moving truck (made from baking cake in bread pans)...with her sitting in the driver's seat and a bunch of molded figures waving bye and holding hankies on the curbside.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 6

hiya bubbles,
Sounds like your friend will be moving to my neck of the woods.
I have maybe a couple ideas for ya, first one is, how about making a conastoga wagon carved out of a half sheet or maybe even one made with rounds set on edge on top of a sheet cake and wheels made of gumpaste or royal with a sign "denver or bust" on it.
Second, maybe do one that looks like the "Beverly Hillbilly's" ol truck filled with furniture n stuff. With the sign on it saying, Bon Voyagee or something to that effect. I can see it in me minds eye right now that would be sooo cute.
Just a coupla thoughts though.
Hope that helps.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 6

You could use the small square baking pans to create "moving boxes."

This could be fun if you created a whole prop scenario where they were sitting in an empty room (similar to some of the scenery cakes I've seen in the gallery).

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all your great ideas. Not sure what I am going to do yet, but I like all of the ideas. Thanks

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 23 Feb 2006 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 6

Jesus i can't believe i am going to do this but i have been thinking lately a lot about creative cake ideas. Here is what I would do if my best friend was going away: I would make two cakes place them alongside and connect them with a funky bridge perhaps made of fondant, or just purchased. One cake would celebrate the times spent in your hometown (maybe a particular place you guys enjoyed spending time at?) and the other a celebration of her new life in Colorado (nice colorado mountains) This would be a pretty intricate cake but I can see it happening. I would spend this amount of time baking a cake for a bestfriend. Maybe this helps.

-Sus

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%