Play How Much Would You Charge?

Business By crumbscakeartistry Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 1:56am by Doug

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 10

I had my first major cake deliver today. It was the first time I ever made a stacked cake. It is a 6, 8, 10, and 12 inch cakes (2 inches tall). The icing is buttercream with silver dragees and pearl luster dust. All the flowers are royal icing and the bow is gumpaste. I know there are a few things that did not come out all well as I would have like but I am so proud of myslef. I charged $165 and live 20 minutes outside NYC. Is that a good price. It is in my photos under pink and blue. Sorry for not being able to attach the pic or included it in the post.

9 replies
crumbscakeartistry Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:01am
post #2 of 10

I'm sad. I need so people to give me feedback on a cake this size. Help me out CCers.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:17am
post #3 of 10

Sorry I can't help on the pricing, I am fairly new to decorating and do all mine for free (family and friends)...but if it helps any I think it's a beautiful cake and if I could venture a guess, I would think you could have gotten more...just my opinion. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in...Jodie

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:48am
post #4 of 10

I assumed party slices for a "wedding" type of cake, feeding approx 75. 75 x $2.00 slice in my area just for basic buttercream. =$150

The bow is simple $5 to $7ish

Royal flowers are beautiful, normally I would charge $5.00 a round but you have lots and they are great, I would go $10 a round soooooo....

150 cake + 6bow + royal flowers 10x4tiers(40)=$196

now this is just my area and I tend to "break it down' everyone structures how they charge differently. This is just my ballpark for this type of cake that I was happy with everything. If I have major issues with a cake, even if the customer does not see them, I say "there are a few things that didn't turn out the way I liked so I am only charging you "x". Most the time they don't see what you do but you feel better discounting a little bit. The more experience and the better I get, the less I do this. In
your areayou can probly charge more.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:55am
post #5 of 10

Also you can multiply your cost by 4 and add extra for all the RI flowers and bow. I would charge around $200 for a cake like that. HTH. Beautiful, BTW. Ohh and add more since you are in a super expensive area, NYC.. oh yeah, $250 min.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:59am
post #6 of 10

This chart I have shows a 12/10/8/6 serves 130, but that includes the 6" at 12 servings. My cake-only price is $2.25 which would be close to $300. Plus your charges for the bow, etc.

I LUV your flowers! They are inspiring!

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:01am
post #7 of 10

I am doing my first real wedding cake that I am charging for and I love your cake!!! I charge 2.75 for buttercream and 3.75 for fondant...per serving that is. so i would have taken how many servings there were times the kind of icing I used and then filling cost extra depending on flavers and some cake flavors cost a little more if they want it home made and not the doctored box then that is extra the flowers and the bow are extra and there is a delivery fee. but that is just me. My wilton teacher gave us all copies of contracts to use and told us kinda what to charge for the cakes and we do.

Hope this helped again loved the cake!!!!

crumbscakeartistry Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:08am
post #8 of 10

Thank you so much for all the help and kind words. I thought the price I gave her was way to low and this confirms it. I really needed some honest CC opinions. I also delivered it in the worst snow storm of the year so far.

THANK YOU!!!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:50am
post #9 of 10

i must agree with everyone...those flowers are so pretty....

i've never made any royal icing flowers before...or wanted to, but those are making me want to try!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:56am
post #10 of 10

20 min outside NYC -- home of Collette and Toba and Steve and.....

lordy --- double that price and you're still a bargain!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%