Airbrush

Decorating By SavannahJane Updated 21 Feb 2006 , 12:41am by tastycakes

SavannahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavannahJane Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 8

I am staring to make cakes and i really want to do airbrush on cakes, but i need to buy one first lol...th only problem is, i hae nooo idea about them...where can i get them?? how much do they cost?? which kind is best?? I have no idea lol...someone told me that all it is is a regular air compressor thing wiht a metal pen type thing connected to it with a hose, i dunno im confused lol, I just really like the look of airbrushed cakes..can someone help me out??? thanx a bunch yall!! <3

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 8

Try Kopykake.com...the airmaster seems to be the most popular airbrush.This is the model that I have and I just love it!!! The whole unit costs about $225.00

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 8

I have the same as kiddiekakes, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Wilma

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 8

If you are looking for a simple way to airbrush, there is something that you can buy at craft stores called an atomizer.
It is very inexpensive, and does the trick.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 8

Ty out the Wilton sprays in the can first to make sure you like the look of it...the I agree that kopykake is the best and it gives you lots of control where the color goes and is great for not only paining your cakes, but I like to make up bunches of plain flowers out of royal and gumpaste and then when I need them I can just airbrush them (or chalk them).

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

tastycakes, That is a great idea for the flowers, I'll have to try it.

Wilma

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 8

I have an airbrush, and I've tried the sprays... there is NO comparison! The sprays are awful to work with and you use a ton and still can't get more than a hint of colour!!! With the airbrush you can achieve soft, subtle colours, or beautifully strong ones!!!

If you look in my gallery, all the red cakes were airbrushed, as were the Darth Vader ones and the navy blue under the globe (as well as the globe!). You can use it with stencils, or freehand (I used a combination of those on my snowboard cake) or you can "paint" with it (haven't really done that yet, but many others here have!)

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 12:41am
post #8 of 8

MelC, I totally agree, but I wouldn't want anyone to go to the expense of purchasing an airbrush if they're just starting out. I've got equipment for many hobbies I 'thought' i was really into (esp. scrapbooking - argh!) So though it really doesn't come close, I wouldn't advise someone to buy it if they haven't tried something even remotely like it!

So, Savannah Jane, if you know someone who has an airbrush who'd be willing to let you try it out, it would be worth the trouble!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%