Airbrushing W/ Luster Dust

Decorating By Peachez Updated 20 Feb 2006 , 11:19pm by tabs8774

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering if any of you that are familliar with airbrushing ever use the luster dusts in yours. I bought a color that I'm dying to try out but don't want to ruin my machine. Would you use vodka like usual to dissolve to powder & spray?

Thanks for any help you can provide. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

Yes! I have used luster dust in my airbrush with no problems. You are on the right track, you do dissolve the luster dust in vodka (I have also used Bacardi Rum). Just make sure you clean and rinse your airbrush well, and you should have no problems!

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 7

I've used an airbrush for years but never used anything other than products approved for use in the airbrush. If anything it could clog the nozzle. Maybe other CC members have tried it.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

I learned about this from the cake shop I go to, their cake pro is the one that told me I could do it!

Like I said, just make sure to clean your airbrush very well!

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 7

yay! Thanks so much gmcakes!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 7

I think I have used my airbrush more for luster dusts than the ones that come with it. I use Everclear to thin it. Also make sure you have it thin. You can always go back over it with a second coat, but you don't want any clumps that could get stuck in the airbursh. And yes you want to clean it really good afterward.

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 7

that is so great to know!! i had no idea that you could do that. and i just bought my first luster dust too!! i cant wait to try it out!!thanks for the tip. you never know what you'll learn here!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%