Has Anyone Here Made Their Own Wedding Cake?

Decorating By nannaraquel Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 11:22pm by shadowgypsie

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 9

I'm just curious. There is SO much going on in the days/weeks/months before a wedding... Has anyone here made their own cake for their big day? And if so, did it stress you out more, or did you find that it helped to take your mind off of all of the other things that were stressing you out?

8 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 9

I was not doing cakes back then I did make my sons cakes but if I had been the mother of the bride I am not sure I would have done so... I personally would not but it would depend on the cake and what else you have to do.

The biggest problem for me is I usually do the cake the night before the wedding but the rehersal dinner is during that time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, I made my own cake 18 years ago. I also did my daughter's wedding cake AND buffet when she got married.

I'd never do either again. There are just too many other responsibilities you have to take care of in those roles and to me, it is just not worth it.

My son will be getting married in the next year or two (or I sure hope so, because I just LUV his girlfriend!) and I'll probably do his reception, but I won't be the mother of the bride and I now have a crew working for me who can attend to the details for me.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 9

I did make my own and did all the preparation of food for the reception. Would I do it again, or recommend it to another person? No, it is just too stressful, too much work and I don't think you really get to enjoy all the aspects of your own wedding if you are exhausted and hoping during the cermony that the cake doesn't fall over, have I made enough servings, will they like the cake design, and taste? Too much stress.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 9

I did my own in 1987 and then did my daughter's in 2002. No other cakes in between! I was a tad rusty!

Would I do it again? Probably. But, they key is to have someone to do EVERYTHING else. Someone you can trust. Someone who had good judgment. At my wedding, the relatives who volunteered to do this and that were totally lacking in self-confidence (How much talent does it take to blow up and tie balloons together, anyway?) and kept coming to me for reassurance and direction. That was just too much to be doing all at once. At my daughter's wedding I had two very good, competent helpers so that all I had to do was concentrate on the cake. But....I didn't allow enough time, and I had to go to my own daughter's wedding without a shower and fresh makeup. That was a bummer!

So, have help...plan ahead....allow way more time than you think!

I loved saying I did the cakes. They were gorgeous, and it made me look like Supergirl! icon_smile.gif

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, I was crazy enough to make my own wedding cake. But it wasn't so bad. It was a very simple cake (cheesecake) covered in buttercream and with toppers of fresh flowers to match my bouquet. They did not have to be stacked, as they were each on their own pedestal (three cakes). I had them ready the day before, and I was able to take them to the hall and put them in the big frig there, and put the flowers on just before it went out. We served it at the late buffet with a raspberry sauce.

I think if you plan ahead, and don't panic, you can do it yourself, and I found it very satisfying. It all depends on your time and planning. We had a smaller wedding, only about 100 people, and I think that made things much easier.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:58am
post #7 of 9

I did my own, and I did my own catering as well. I did hire waiters and a bartender. It's not that hard, just don't kill yourself with a complicated design. My husband wanted a flavor combination that nobody around here would do for less than over $10 a serving.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #8 of 9

I did my own as well as the food for the reception. I had never done a stacked/tiered cake before and didn't have a clue what I was doing. We were married in Jamaica and had the reception after we returned home so it wasn't as stressful as trying to set it up the day of the wedding.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 9

I did my own wedding... from my cake to all the other food as well as the decorations and my bouquet which was out of gumpaste.

My husband to be was stressed out more than me.

I just kept telling him I had everything under control, he was having trouble believing me. In July we will be married a year.

I figured if I wanted it done right I'd have to do it my self.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%