I Have Discovered Scratch Cakes!

Decorating By mami2sweeties Updated 21 Feb 2006 , 5:33am by dailey

nicfam6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicfam6 Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 9:33pm
post #31 of 35

I did my first attempt at a scratch cake this weekend using the wilton classic white recipe and it came out to dense. I am trying to find one that has more flavor and fluffy/airy. The girl who I am doing the wedding cake for prefers a cake from scratch and not a box because she says she can taste the preservatives for boxed cakes. Anyone have a good recipe that light and flavorful to use for a wedding cake.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 10:01pm
post #32 of 35

I'm finding white scratch cake to be the most difficult to perfect! Alot of people really like the White Velvet cake from the Cake Bible. I tried melissablack's White Cake II from this site and it is very nice and almondy tasting.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 11:08pm
post #33 of 35

White cake is not something I like. I don't mind the yellow because it is almost white depending on the recipe.

I also am a big fan of the DH french vanilla mix. That is just yum and I don't do any doctoring either. Maybe my taste buds are a little wacky.

I do NOT like DH yellow cake mix. I prefer the scratch cake for sure.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 11:09pm
post #34 of 35

PS: I have that recipe. I will try it! Maybe I might have to eat my cake...I mean my words.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 5:33am
post #35 of 35

snowboarder,
it was pink, if i remember correctly. i, too, dislike the "brownish" color that some strawberry cakes produce, i even added a bit of red coloring to one particular recipe because the color was unappetizing. if you give it a try, let us know how it worked out for youicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%