Chocolate Satin Ice???

Decorating By diana Updated 16 Mar 2007 , 9:51pm by melysa

diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 17

I need black fondant for a cake I have to make, but I was wondering if adding black color to Chocolate Satin Ice will make it taste bad? Will it get a good deep black? I'm going to make a "Cars" theme cake and it is making me crazy icon_cry.gif . Please Help!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

16 replies
diana Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 17

Anybody??? BUMP

diana Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 17

BUMP icon_cry.gif

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 17

I don't know the answer about the chocolate fondant but I do know you can buy Satin Ice in black.
HTH
Melissa

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 17

I don't really know, but I think it should be the same as coloring chocolate icing black, shouldn't be a major problem.

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 17

Use Black Americolor; It's flavorless.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 17

I don't think it will make it taste bad - the chocolate taste is very pronounced (like tootsie rolls). Satin Ice does make a black fondant. I purchased mine from www.cakedeco.com and the shipping was pretty quick - not sure how soon you need it or where you are located. They do not quote shipping on the website, but in my previous experience it is approx $1/lb or so. If you have a local decorating shop (not Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc...) they may also carry it. Mine does but was out of the black that I needed.

~Chelle

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 17

They have black satin ice just seen it I think at cakes by sam not sure but I know they make i. Go to American Cake decorating they have a link called where do I find it go to product list. HTH icon_smile.gif

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 17

I tried turning brown Wilton fondant to black. It didn't turn out deep black... more like a very dark grey. It could have if I was more patient and added more black, I guess. If you are gonna take the dive and do it, let the fondant sit for awhile to achieve a darker color.

On thing's for sure, I made a mental note to thyself.... the only fondant I'm going to buy is black fondant icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Never again!!!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 17

Ive used black Satin Ice and it's great. Actually tasted good, no funky bitterness at all.

diana Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 17

Thank You for the info, the cake is for March 25. I have a store near that sells Satin Ice but they are out of black icon_cry.gif . They only have white and chocolate so I will keep on looking. Wish me luck!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 17

I was just wondering... is the black fondant needed to cover the whole cake? If not, if it's just for decorations, then I would use the black paste with the chocolate. No taste paste works really well.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 17

Diana,

I believe that if you ordered today, cakedeco could get you the black Satin Ice in plenty of time!

~Chelle

diana Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 17

The black fondant is for decoration only (black road), I will try to order today. Thank You......

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 17

I love black Satin Ice! No more trying to get black!!!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 17

OMG! WHy didn't anyone tell me that they make Satin Ice in black? I guess because I didn't ask huh? Well Nice to know anyway- Ilove you all here at CC, it's like an overflowing fountain of knowledge

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 17

chocolate satin ice tastes amazing wonderful (better than tootsie rolls, more like fudge) and drys so dark, you'd hardly have to add any black coloring to get a true black. personally i think getting the chocolate fondant is more beneficial than black because you'd probably have more use for the left over choc fondant than lbs and lbs of left over black (guess it depends on the size you're ordering ...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%