I Have A Big Dilemma!

Decorating By scrapmomof3 Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm by Crazy_Cake_Lady

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:56am
post #1 of 22

I am taking the Wilton 1 course on Tuesday nights. Next Tuesday will be my 3rd class. As it would happen, on the same night, my seven year old son will be getting two trophies at his scout pack meeting for his Pinewood Derby accomplishments.

When he found out I would be going to class that night, he said it was ok, but I could tell he was sad. My husband and his two siblings will be there.

Anyway, I am feeling very guilty for missing this event. On the other hand, I really don't want to miss my class as I am almost done, and honestly having a wonderful time! I haven't been this excited about something in a very long time!

This a no-win situation. I just needed to unload.

Lisa

21 replies
deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:59am
post #2 of 22

Isn't there any way you could do both?? Half of one then half the other or something?
I hate situations like that! Good luck!

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:05am
post #3 of 22

I feel for you. I've got two littles myself (6 & 7) and it seems I'm always torn between wanting to be there for every little thing with them and occasionally getting to do something for me. I wish I had a good answer. I hope you can work it out

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:06am
post #4 of 22

Maybe the instructor would let you sit in / participate in same class at another time or even the next month. I know it won't be the same group of people but ... Good luck. That happened to me the last night of class for course 3 - feel your pain!

azlorri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azlorri Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:06am
post #5 of 22

Talk to your instructor. Probably she would let you attend the 3rd session of her NEXT class instead of this one to accomodate your schedule.

Good luck. And, personally, I'd go with your son....it's just cake! icon_surprised.gif) I know, I know CAKE is a powerful draw.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:09am
post #6 of 22

Oh that is not good at all is it? I am sorry to hear that, I agree with the above post though, check wiht the instructor, if she has kids I am sure she will understand!

~Alicia

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:16am
post #7 of 22

I have 5 kids, and there was simply no way I could be at every event/awards ceremony. Those I couldn't attend, I had a family member attend and videotape it for me, and we all watched the video afterward. Don't feel guilty because you can't make it... you have to have a life too.

TooCuteRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooCuteRose Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:17am
post #8 of 22

i know my instructor...comes in early if someone can't make it...do u think ur instructor would be understanding enough to help you out???

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:24am
post #9 of 22

I'm not sure...my instructor is very nice, but she seems very 'by the book'. Unfortunately, this is the only month I will be able to attend these classes. Next month, I will be busy with my boys practices and games. I will have to wait until summer to try and take Course 2.

As much as I feel guilty, I am going to go ahead and do the class. For the past 9 years, I have been a SAHM and been there for all events, big and small. This is the first time in a long time I have done something for myself. There will be many more events in my three childrens lives that I will be there for. As for this event, I am having my husband videotape it. A few days after that, my son will be attending his first ever A Honor Roll Principle Breakfast...I will be there for that!!

Lisa

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:31am
post #10 of 22

What is the theme for the class??? can decorate the cake in his honor??

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:32am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapmomof3

I'm not sure...my instructor is very nice, but she seems very 'by the book'. Unfortunately, this is the only month I will be able to attend these classes. Next month, I will be busy with my boys practices and games. I will have to wait until summer to try and take Course 2.

As much as I feel guilty, I am going to go ahead and do the class. For the past 9 years, I have been a SAHM and been there for all events, big and small. This is the first time in a long time I have done something for myself. There will be many more events in my three childrens lives that I will be there for. As for this event, I am having my husband videotape it. A few days after that, my son will be attending his first ever A Honor Roll Principle Breakfast...I will be there for that!!

Please don't feel guilty. I have children too and sometimes you got to do something for your self. The class is only 4 weeks. You will have the rest of the year to attend your children;s functions. Let husband take hime and if possible, have him video tape it. Then do something nice for your son to show that you are proud of him.

Lisa

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:35am
post #12 of 22

Kids need to learn that the earth doesn't (always) revolve around them! Watch the video with him and make a big fuss about it. I'm sure he'll be fine. You need to take care of you too.

Crazy_Cake_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy_Cake_Lady Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:36am
post #13 of 22

I agree with BrandiBakes in that it's hard to be at every event. I have 4 year-old triplets and already it's hard to be in all places at the same time.

Go and enjoy your class. Your husband could take pictures and you could make a big deal about your son's accomplishment. I like the idea of making a cake in his honor. I'll bet he'd love some extended time in the limelight!

As a busy mom you deserve to see your projects through to the end, too.

No guilt!!

Crazy_Cake_Lady

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:38am
post #14 of 22

I like Lisa's suggestion--videotape and something special--and a little explanation of how and why missing the class isn't an option.

I see cupcakes with blue icing and gold fleur de lis on them.......

He'll appreciate it, really.

Rae

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:05am
post #15 of 22

I agree- with the others too! Great idea about making the cake for him! Or maybe decorate pancakes the next day icon_smile.gif Sometimes you have to do you first - I remember that from when I was nursing number two and had a 19 month old!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #16 of 22

Talk to your instructor, maybe the two of you can come up with a solution, like meeting a half hour before class starts. So you can at least practice your shell and clowns.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:27am
post #17 of 22

I think that this is an important learning opportunity for your son--sometimes Mom has other things in her life that will prevent her from going to every activity, but when she can't Dad will be there.

In fact, since this is a class, it is a good example of the importance of taking time for learning. (even if it's fun learning--learning SHOULD be fun!)

My son was in Kindergarten when I was working on finishing up my Master's thesis, and he definitely learned this lesson. At my "hooding ceremony" the night before graduation, somebody asked my son if he even knew what a thesis was. His answer--"It's a really big book that you spend a lot of time writing, that nobody wants to read." Smart a$$, even at the tender age of 6. icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your class and then spoil him with a cake!

RedPanda

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:44am
post #18 of 22

Oh wow! I'm the odd ball. I think your kids should always come first if at all possible. You can read the book and teach yourself the one class. What you don't get you can always ask your instructor about next week.

You need to do what you think is best. No one can live your life for you. I just think kids grow up to fast as it is and would want to be there to support them whenever possible.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:23am
post #19 of 22

scrapmomof3 ,

I understand how you feel. It is very difficult to have to choose between a little time for yourself and being there for your kids. I struggle with this everyday. It is a very fine line. If you do go to the class, I am afraid that you will regret not being at the ceremony for him. BUT, I am more afraid that if you do NOT go to class that you will actually resent giving up your "me" time.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:39pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

Oh wow! I'm the odd ball. I think your kids should always come first if at all possible.

Kids need to learn that the world simply does not revolve around them. My oldest daughter was a varsity cheerleader in high school and she used to tell me how glad she was that I wasn't like the other "cheer moms" who came to every game wearing buttons with their childs faces, etc. Those parents didn't have lives of their own and lived vicariously through their children. A lot of those moms tried to be "cool" and allowed parties to be held in their homes that I wouldn't even allow my daughter to ATTEND.

Yes, it's wonderful when you can support your child... but when you can't be there, you can't be there. I missed one of my children's 6th grade graduations because I started a new job and had to be in training. The rest of my family went - and while she was disappointed, she certainly understood.

I'm sorry... but it kinda cheeses me off to see parents who coddle their children their entire lives and then wonder why they can't handle adulthood.

That side, I have to respectfully disagree with above comment.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:52pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

Kids need to learn that the earth doesn't (always) revolve around them! Watch the video with him and make a big fuss about it. I'm sure he'll be fine. You need to take care of you too.

*applause*

AND your husband is going to be there as well.

you REALLY do deserve to have some occasions when you give yourself priority

Crazy_Cake_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy_Cake_Lady Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 22

I have to add my applause, too. Being a mother does not mean sacrificing yourself in entirety to your kids. I have a niece who went through a sassy spell because her mother was overwhelmingly permissive and made her daughter the center of her universe. My brother had a tough time balancing real-world values with a mother who was essentially spoiling her daughter.

With triplets, I know all too well the rigors and joys of motherhood. But there are boundaries, and sometimes my girls don't get to be the center of the universe. That's the way it works in the real world.

Besides, I'm a MUCH better mom if I have my things that I do that are exclusively mine. I'm almost 45 years old and I have learned that life works best when things are in balance, not one-sided.

Plus, because I'm doing cakes "on the side" my girls know much more about measurements and baking than most kids their age!

So, here's my APPLAUSE to the previous comments!

Crazy Cake Lady

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%