Pricing Help.... What To Charge

Business By CakesbyKimmie Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 1:13am by GHOST_USER_NAME

CakesbyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKimmie Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 2:35am
post #1 of 8

icon_smile.gif Hi, I just made a cake for work and they want to pay me for it and want to know how much I charge. I have never charged for a cake before and need some advice. It was a nine inch white chocolate buttercream, with banana cream filling, and some royal icing flowers. I think it costs about $6 to make and was from a mix.

If anyone has any suggestions please post a reply.

Also, if anyone has the pricing matrix please email to
[email protected]

Thanks,

Kim
LL

7 replies
AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 6:00am
post #2 of 8

Some people charge up to $50 for a 9" 2 layer, but others charge only $20 or so. You could just tell them this one is free because no one ordered it specifically (did they?), but for future reference you'll take donations of $25 or $30 or whatever you're comfortable with. Looks great!

~AngelWendy

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 7:53am
post #3 of 8

AngelWendy I think your suggestion is very good, especially considering the circumstances this time, and maybe Kimmie can then work on a pricing plan because she will be getting more orders (the cake looks really good and sounds even better! Janice

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 10:52am
post #4 of 8

Another option would be to say that you aren't charging them, but willing to take donations and that if they were clients the amount you'd charge would be X (where X is whatever amount you think would be right.. $25? $40?) Then they can choose whether to give you a donation of something possibly up to that amount.

Best regards!

`Angel Wendy

CakesbyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKimmie Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 8

Hi, Just to clarify. I was asked to make it for an annivesary. I have brought in cakes before and always said they were from me as a gift. I was told to send an invoice for this one, and no was not an option. LOL

Thank you all very much for your responses so far. I appreciate all of the tips and advice I can get : )

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 8

You need to charge at least 3x your cost for an easy, no-frills cake. If you would like my pricing matrix, I need to know if you use Excel or Works. email me at [email protected] with the information and I'll get it right out to you.

yaya66ga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaya66ga Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 8

Cali4dawn, I'am in the same situation of getting started with pricing as Kimmie. Would you mind sharing your pricing matrix with me. Here is my email and I can view Excel. Thanks for being so helpful to others getting started. It's really appreciated.

Cindy

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 1:13am
post #8 of 8

Send an email to me- it's much easier for me since I send out so many at one time. Don't forget to specify excel in the email.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%