Northern Ny Laws?

Business By Alien_Sunset Updated 12 Apr 2006 , 11:48am by cake77

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 6

Is there anybody here who has a business in northern NY?

I am thinking about starting one, but I can't use my home kitchen since there is no way to prevent our dog from going through it during baking, and also our only entrance and exit is in the kitchen area. So it would never pass inspection.

From what I have found online, if I am working out of a home kitchen all I need is an inspection to sell cakes. But I need a license and inspection to work out of a commercial kitchen (which would cost about $200 plus.) thumbsdown.gif

Our landlady also owns the Bed and Breakfast next door and has offered to rent me her attack apartment for cake baking at a really good price. It's a full apartment, kitchen, dining room area, living room bedroom and bathroom. But from what I can understand by looking around on the internet, this cannot count for a 'home' kitchen, but I'm not sure if it would really count as a commercial kitchen either. So I'm not sure where I would stand legally. And license wise.

Is there anybody in the upstate/northern NY area who has any experience with running a cake business that could lend me some insight?

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 6

since your landlady already has a B&B...doesn't if have to have a liscenced kitchen? would she rent it out to you?

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:10am
post #3 of 6

I live in western NY and from what I was told by the health department here. You have to have a seperate kitchen, and have it inspected, and be issued a permit, but it very's from county to county in NY. If you are selling retail ( to the public) this is the way it is in Allegany County, but if you are selling wholesale to restaurants for resale etc., you go through the department of agriculture. I am not lisenced, but the kitchen where I work has to be inspected, so I talked to the department of health, as I have considered doing this in the future. Hope this makes sense.


Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:24am
post #4 of 6


I hadn't really thought about that. She doesn't really cook or provide meals for the people staying, aside from continental breakfasts of doughnuts, muffins and juice etc.

But your point did raise a few other options for me to look at and think about. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

And yeah, like cake77 said I'm definitely going to have to write to my county and see what they say so I can get some more definitive answers.

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 7:39am
post #5 of 6

where did you find the information about kitchens in NY state? i live in central ny and want to start thinking about this since we're buying a home soon. i went to the site listed in the articles section, but couldn't find anything there really ouch.gif .... could you let me know the site / state dept?

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 11:48am
post #6 of 6

You will need to call your county's health department. They will be able to let you know if you go threw them, or the department of agriculture, or both. They will also be able to provide you with information on contacting the department of agriculture if you need to talk to them.


Quote by @%username% on %date%