Foamcore Board

Decorating By SpudCake Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 8:50pm by wolfley29

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 31

I use foamcore board as my cake board because it is sturdy. Here's what I do...I put my cake on a covered (freezer paper)cardboard and then put that on a covered (decorated) foamcore board. I worry about the cake being directly on the foamcore (foodsafe and all) and when the customer cuts it they may cut the board and it will all be a mess. Is that overkill? It would cut my cost down the price of the cardboard and freezer paper if I didn't need to do that. I have have actually had a cake made that way at home and saw someone struggle with the cardboard in between. Maybe it IS overkill?

Joanne usaribbon.gif

30 replies
SpudCake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #2 of 31

Any thoughts? I have a cake due Saturday. Thanks in advance.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #3 of 31

I rarely use cardboard circles any more, for two reasons, one, is cost, two, is they are not as sturdy as foamcore. I cut the foam core to size and cover with contact paper. For a board that will be seen, I cover with fancy foil. No need for all the extras.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:36am
post #4 of 31

I've used foamcore on the majority of my cakes for the last couple of years. I just cover mine with aluminum foil most of the time. Sometimes I cover mine with Wilton's Fancy Foil (for the more special cakes). I've never had any trouble with food-safe issues.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:43am
post #5 of 31

I use foam boards too. All I do is cover them w/foil. That provides a protective barrier.

SpudCake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #6 of 31

Well, it sounds like maybe it is overkill icon_rolleyes.gif I think I will just try and go with the foamcore this time and try it out. Thanks.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #7 of 31

I learned to use foamcore from a Colette Peters class. I continue to do it in exactly the way I was taught.

I cut a foamcore board to the exact size of each cake tier and put my cake on that--no foil, no saran, etc. The craft paper on foamcore is some tuff stuff. I often wind up cutting the cakes I make and I've never cut through it.

I do make decorative boards with foamcore, too. I cover those with scapbooking papers under Contac paper, wrapping paper, etc. Because of the underboard, the cake never touches the decorative board, so there's a lot of creative freedom for coverings.

Rae

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:00am
post #8 of 31

i've been using the cardboard circles for each tier and then foamcore for the final, decorated board.
but, i haven't been covering my cardboard circles with anything. i just put the cake directly on the cardboard. is that wrong? is it a problem if the cardboard comes in contact with the cake? all i've noticed is that it gets a little greasy looking in some spots.

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:10am
post #9 of 31

Cardboard circles have been known to soak up moisture and buckle. This can cause icing to crack or tiers to break. I find a lot of comfort in the sturdiness of using a foamcore circle rather than a thin cardboard.
I'm from the school that there is no such think as too much support--for many things icon_lol.gif

Rae

SpudCake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:59am
post #10 of 31

Blakescakes, I assume you clean the boards well with something before using? Just water or ??

Joanne usaribbon.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:06am
post #11 of 31

I wipe them off with a damp cloth--the same way you would a cardboard circle.

RAe

cakecrumb Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Cardboard circles have been known to soak up moisture and buckle. This can cause icing to crack or tiers to break. I find a lot of comfort in the sturdiness of using a foamcore circle rather than a thin cardboard.
I'm from the school that there is no such think as too much support--for many things icon_lol.gif

Rae

thank you for that info! icon_biggrin.gif i didn't realize this. the last tiered cake i made had a few cracks in the crusted BC and i had doweled the heck out of it. i'm wondering now if it was because of the buckling cardboard circle.
you learn something new everyday on here. thumbs_up.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 31

BlakesCakes -- how do you cut the circles out of the foam core? I have a heckuva time doing that ...

SweetArt Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 31

I use a serrated knife, but would love to hear a better way of doing it as this is dulling all my knives. Also, BlakesCakes, you said you don't cover your foamcore. I cover mine simply because of the rough edges and I worry about the fuzzies on the edge getting in the frosting, how do you avoid this?

cakecrumb Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 31

not that i'm a professional by any means, but i cut my foamcore circles with an x-acto knife. i draw the circle and then just follow it with the x-acto. i find it much easier to handle when cutting the foamcore.
sometimes it takes twice around for it to cut all the way through but it does the job.
HTH

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 31

What size thickness of foamcore should the base boards be?

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:48pm
post #17 of 31

For the boards the same size as each tier, I use 3/16 inch. For decorative boards, I use the same thickness if the cake is small (one or 2 tiers). If it's a big cake, 3 tiers+, I use the 1/2 inch foamcore. If it's a huge cake, I double the 1/2 inch.

For cutting it, I use a hot knife--it's an electrified exacto knife that cuts through the foamcore like butter. You can get them at Michael's, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, etc.

http://joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=84160&PRODID=177488&source=search

Rae

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 31

Thanks!

Steady2Hands Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #19 of 31

Most of the time I use the 1/2" foamcore. Occasionally I use the thin one.

I cut mine with a carpet knife and sometimes I use an Exacto knife. I'm gonna have to check out that hot knife. That sounds GREAT!

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #20 of 31

There is just always another toy oops I mean needed tool to buy!.

(ps hi blakescakes! nice to 'see you)

SweetArt Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #21 of 31

Thanks, BlakesCakes! I have tried regular exacto knives and it just required more pressure than my wrists could give (tendonitis), though the results where smoother than doing it with a knife. This will help a lot and save a lot of time.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #22 of 31

okay, my question is where do you buy the foamcore boards at? I haven't been able to find them up here, and want to know if there is a website ya'll think is really good.

Steady2Hands Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:16pm
post #23 of 31

I have found them at Craft stores, office supply stores, and Wal-mart.

Hobby Lobby has them on sale for 50% off right now until tomorrow (3/17/07). I started a post on this yesterday but I think it got lost in the shuffle.

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:17pm
post #24 of 31

Wolfey--are you in Anchorage??? I'd really think that the WalMart would have them. I know they carry it stateside. I

I ordered some from Cheap Joes, but the shipping is a killer.

cheapjoes.com

Rae

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm
post #25 of 31

You can buy it any art supply store. Michaels also carrys it.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #26 of 31

Ohhhhhhh THANK YOU BlakesCakes! That is exactly what I need -- a hot knife! Didn't know they existed, but I have a Joann's nearby so I shall go out and get one. Thank you so much.

I have an Exacto-knife -- great for paper, but it just doesn't do the job very well with foam core.

Now I know the trick!

Thank you.

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:25pm
post #27 of 31

Thanks for posting about the hot knife. I have always struggled getting a good cut. I am going to have to try that.

SpudCake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:56am
post #28 of 31

I'm glad I started this post, what a great tip on that hot knife. I will have to get one of those. Thanks.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:34am
post #29 of 31

Well, I found some boards at JoAnn's this afternoon, but it was $3.49 a board. I called around to Wal-Mart, but they don't have any. I'm just wondering where to order it from online to get a better deal. Of course, I need to make sure how much the shipping charges will be. I ordered some things from a place in New York, and the s&h charges were over $60, but my order was less than $40. Oh well, lesson learned.

SpudCake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #30 of 31

Michaels has them on sale occasionally for $1, that is for the thin ones but you can stack them to the size you want.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%