Some Questions

Decorating By Taigen Updated 17 Feb 2006 , 8:31pm by Cakeman66

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 4

Just wondering if anyone can help with these questions as I am very new to all this.
#1 - Is it really a bad idea to use eggs for royal frosting? I am hoping that what I make( flowers, bugs etc.) in the next few weeks will store until just before the wedding in August.
#2 - Can you tint royal frosting black for the bug bodies and if so is there a special way?
#3 - How long does candy clay last and how do you store it? How do you tint it black?
#4 - How long does gum paste last and how do you store it, also can it be tinted black?

As you can see by the questions I am trying to figure out the best way to make the bug bodies as I would really like to get them done ahead of time if that is at all possible. I have painted several butterflies and they are stored in ziplock bags, not cut out yet. I am trying different ideas for the dragonfly wings today.
I bought the gumtex (?) glucose, glycerin etc. but didn't buy the meringue powder as I have always used real egg whites for my meringue cookies etc. I also bought white candy melts so I can tint different colours, just not sure how to do black.
If anyone can help with these questions it would be much appreciated. I will try and post some pics of the butterflies I have done already a bit later. My favorite is the yellow swallow tail, I was really pleased with how it turned out.
Thanks

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 4

I use the Americolor black to tint my royal icing for bugs etc..I store the extra in a container in the fridge with a damp papertowel and a tight sealed lid.I've had it stay in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and still be usable.I have also used and egg white in a pinch for royal icing when I have no meringue powder.The sugar in the powdered sugar I think pretty much eliminates any problems with salmonella etc..and I have kept the decorations dried for months.Hope that helps!!

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 4

How confident are you that your eggs haven't been exposed to salmonella?

I wouldn't hesitate to use real whites for anything that gets cooked or heated (meringues, IMBC) but with royal there's no heat. Dried whites or pasteurized eggs would be workable substitutes for meringue powder if you're concerned about the additional ingredients in the meringue powder.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 4

Your chances in this day and age of getting Salmonella are about as much as getting the plague. There would have to be some extra ordinary circumstances involved to get it.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's more unlikely in this day and age. If you ever have doubt, use poiwdered egg whites or Meringue Powder. If you ahve further doubt for the royal, use the CK brand powdered Royal Icing mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%