Fondant Bow

Decorating By airn84 Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 2:40am by Pyxxydust

airn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airn84 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 4

I'm planning on making small fondant bows to go on top of cupcakes for a baby shower. Unfortunately I'm out of state until the day before, so I'm curious how long it will take the pieces to dry? And if I need to assemble onto the cupcakes or before I put them on?

3 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant takes a bit to dry=( I would give mine a week, but might dry in a few days. Gumpaste added to the fondant would help it dry quicker. Is there anyway you can make the bows ahead of time, so you can just put them on? Otherwise, you could just pipe on little bows. Here is a link that shows you how to pipe the bows=)

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/bows.cfm

Hopefully someone else will chime in here to get you a better answer! Jen

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 4

I LOVE decorating using MMF accents because I can make the accents ahead of time at my convenience - they don't go "bad". I have decorated a cake with fondant accents made the day before with success, but I put a lot of powdered sugar and sometimes tylose into my MMF until it is quite sturdy. I usually assemble my bows ahead of time simply to save time on the final day, but I have had bows come apart on me.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 2:40am
post #4 of 4

If you need them to dry fast, I would recommend using Wilton fondant or other store bought fondant, because it has hardeners and other ingredients in it. As much as I love MMF, it takes FOREVER to dry, but I'm not sure if you were planning on using it anyway. Wilton tastes horrible, but at least it's easy to find and inexpensive if you're in a pinch.
Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%