Cake As Art

Decorating By tiptop57 Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 2:33am by ShirleyW

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
Many of you are aware that I was applying for a extremely prestigious Art Grant from the McKnight Foundation in Minnesota which is administered through the East Central Regional Arts Council. I submitted ten slides of my original cakes along with the proposal last month. Then last night I had a ten minute timed presentation with the ten member grant board. I also brought an original cake below as a new "work". I thought it was appropriate since I was basically moving from photography to sugar sculptures. So the camera cake is "dear" to my heart. Unfortunately I could not serve the cake since the board can not accept gifts..............but two of the members could not help but comment on the great smell!

I am very please to report that I received the grant and will be using it to attend the Lambeth class at Wilton in Chicago this October. The executive director wrote: "They really felt your work has a high quality artistic merit and that your proposed training will be a good fit for you."

I am so excited, I am simply beside myself!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
LL

8 replies
cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 9

that's so great! congratulations! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 9

Amazing!! Congrats!!!!
Love the camera cake BTW!!!!
Have fun learning icon_biggrin.gif

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 9

GREAT JOB!!!!! I love taking pictures and decorating cakes.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you for your replies.

I think the very best thing about the whole thing is the nod from the arts community that cake can be recognized as sculpture. Most of the artists turned decorators, people like Colette Peters and Margaret Braun have "left" the arts world and have mainly been traveling in the culinary arts sphere winning their recognition and awards from that world.

This award for me is a lovely validation in how I want to be perceived as an artist first and culinary arts second. Sort of snobby sounding but, I have an undergraduate degree in studio arts and having been playing in the backyard for decades and have never received this kind of recognition before.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 9

Wow that's great. Congrats.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:56am
post #7 of 9

congratulations! that is quite a recognition i agree with you. And that is an awesome cake! photography was what started me in the art/craft area and it is still one of my top passions.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 9

Congrats!!!! That's a great achievment!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #9 of 9

Outstanding! Congratulations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%