First Wedding Cake Please Help....or Tips!

Decorating By jlmaison Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm by bjfranco

jlmaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmaison Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 2

Hi I have to do a cake that will feed 170 people. It will be a three teir cake and the sizes will be 16", 12" and 8". Here are my questions?

1. How much fondant will I need to cover this cake. Like how many boxes of the 5lbs Wilton fondat will I need?

2. I have a regular sized oven will the 16" pan fit in my oven?

3. She wants purple fondant....is it better to but purple fondant.... I heard that when you mix it your self it can change to blue?

4. How much do you thinki it will cost?

5. The cake will be sitting out for a couple of hours. What kinds of fillinfs can I use?

Thanks in advance I think that is all of my questions for now. Jen

1 reply
bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 2

Here are some thoughts for your questions:

I would go to the following website or cakesbysam.com for the amount of fondant needed:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/CAKE_SHOPPE/Fondant_Gumpaste_%20Accessories/Rolled_Fondant_Icing/Rolled_Fondant_Quantity_Chart/rolled_fondant_quantity_chart.htm

I always over shoot too on the fondant for mistakes and plus I am not that proficient at it so I tend to use more fondant.

I would measure your oven to confirm that the pan will fit.

I think you are pretty open on the type of fillings unless you are using a cake/filling that has to be refridgerated. What type of filling is the bride requesting or is she leaving that up to you?

HTH
bj

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%