Mixer Problems

Decorating By mbelgard Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm by birdgirl

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 9

I've had a KA 4.5 quart mixer for about 7 years now and it's been making noises. My husband took it apart last night and said that the speed regulator has a broken piece. Its been speeding up when I turn it down and such for a while and he says that's at least most of the noise.

Has anyone else had this part break and if so can you get a replacement part?

KitchenAid has a rebate going right now and I'm very tempted to go ahead and order the big 6 quart from Amazon but I have to decide before the end of the month because that's when the rebate ends.

I'd rather not spend the money but I don't want my mixer to break the day after the rebate ends either.

8 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 9

Have you called KA?

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah, you better call KA first and find out what they tell you, and then decide if you want to buy another one. But if it was me, I'd buy a new one, and try to repair this one, like this I wouldn't worry of it breaks. JMO but I'd called them first just to know what they recommend, and if it happens often.
hth

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 9

I haven't had any problems with mine so far, but I bet you can get it fixed. Are there any small appliance service centers in your area?

Cindy

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 9

Do you have a warranty on this mixer? If so you can send it off to get repaired, not sure how long it would take. Good Luck!

mbelgard Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 9

No warrenty, it was purchased in 2000 and has seen several years of hard use.
Calling KA is a good idea but the closest repair place is undoubtly several hours away. If I have the part my husband can probably do it.

Thanks.

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 9

I think you can order replacement parts on the website.

mbelgard Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 9

Well I called KA and they told me my closest service place is 4.5 hours away. They gave me a number for another service place to look into the price of the part and it's $36.95 with $5 shipping, I called my husband at work and he says it's not worth it for a mixer that old.

He's going to try to sauter(sp?) it when he gets home but I think I'm going to end up buying the new mixer while they have the rebate.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 9

I have had problems with mine--something slips out of place and my husband fixes it for me. It isn't worth the money to send them out to fix them when they get old. I have started hearing a lot of complaints about KA. They have plastic gears???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%