Cake Pans

Business By jennifer293 Updated 15 Feb 2006 , 3:54am by cakemommy

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:06am
post #1 of 11

Do you find it better to have the standard shapes (rectangle, square, circle, heart etc.) or to have the character shapes on hand. I mean with the standard shapes you could get really creative with tiers and such and figurines as opposed to character pans you only have one design to work with.

What do you do the most of? I am just trying to decide which pans I should be investing in the most!!! Those little boogers aren't exactly CHEAP!!! icon_sad.gif

TIA

Jennifer

10 replies
Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:11am
post #2 of 11

With businesses, you aren't legally allowed to sell cakes made from character pans. like Elmo or Garfield or whatever. HOWEVER, you don't have to do THOSE characters. This is a technicality. I'm not a big fan of character cakes myself, and the legalities are something MOST people that make and sell them, don't either think about or else they don't think they'll ever get caught selling one.

IF you are going to sell cakes, I'd settle for about 5-6 "regular" pans and go from there, when you need them and only when you need them.

jennifer293 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:19am
post #3 of 11

well I have had several people ask me to do FBCT on sheet cakes of characters but luckily they have been friends but I am afraid to do them for someone I don't know because who knows when it could be someone who may fine me. I love doing cakes but it is not worth it to me to get fined. But it just seems as sooo many parents have "character themed" parties and want the cake to match.

OK so now I have another question, since you are legally allowed togive the customer a character figurine to place on a cake where can I get them CHEAP???

Oh and I forgot to add I am not a business. In my county I cannot become a licensed business because my kitchen is open to my family and there is no where to put a door to keep them out. So until I win the lottery to have a new home or a commercial location I will not be a business..LOL

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:29am
post #4 of 11

Invest in regular pans mainly and maybe a couple of charactor/novelty pans that can be versatile... check out the wilton website and you will be surprised what some have made out of a particular type of charactor/novelty pan... sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with the origianl plan... just gotta be creative

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:38am
post #5 of 11

Winning the lottery!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That is what I've been saying! If only, right!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

I have a ton of character pans I have never used (they are previously used and given to me )and would love to get rid of them. They are taking up space in my garage. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Rounds, and sheets are what I mainly use. I do have hearts of varying sizes and one 10x10"! I'd love to have more squares and some ovals and petal pans. Petal pans are hard to find unless I order them online!!!

Amy

jennifer293 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 4:11am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

Winning the lottery!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That is what I've been saying! If only, right!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

I have a ton of character pans I have never used (they are previously used and given to me )and would love to get rid of them. They are taking up space in my garage. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Rounds, and sheets are what I mainly use. I do have hearts of varying sizes and one 10x10"! I'd love to have more squares and some ovals and petal pans. Petal pans are hard to find unless I order them online!!!

Amy

My dad claims he has character pans in this building behind my house but I have a phobia of MICE and since we live on 5 acres there are A LOT in the building out there.. SOOOOO they can sit out there a bit longer.. icon_lol.gif mayeb I can let the cat loose out there for a few days...hahahaha

Petal pans are not hard to find here..they are actually at our hobby lobby right now and there are quite a few on ebay. I just purchased the 5, 7, 10 inch set of heart pans tonight for 8.00..WOOHOO I got the magic line square set off ebay for 40.00 (not as cheap but I really like the magic line pans)....I have all the rounds already and I have 3 different sheet sizes all off ebay for 5.00 NEW..so I guess I am set for now. Good this stuff is too expensive!!!

cakemommy Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 4:38am
post #7 of 11

The cake pans I have my sister bought a huge lot of them off of ebay about five years ago and had them shipped all to me. Four boxes of stuff including all this womans old old wedding separator plates, dowels, columns, fountain, staircase, wedding cake topper. The stuff was so old it was yellowed. There must have been over sixty pans and everything was dirty. It was so gross!!! My sister was misled big time. She even displayed all her auction on her driveway for the picture on ebay. I kept quite a few of the pans like all the rounds up to size 16" and all the hearts and a few of the character pans. The wedding stuff I just threw out this weekend. I felt bad about it but my husband was saying "I wouldn't want my wedding cake put on that." I agreed so out it went.

You can get good deals on ebay but you really have to be careful and ask the seller questions about condition before buying.

Amy

jennifer293 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 11

You should really go through those character pans, because some of the vintage ones like the star wars, strawberry shortcakes, and the disney ones are selling BIG TIME...I watched a R2-D2 go for over 60.00 for ONE pan this weekend. I didn't want it but I like to watch people get in bidding wars in the last few minutes... icon_lol.gif

I mean there are pans on there you know you can buy at hobby looby for 10.99 that people will pay over 20 bucks plus shipping for it...I don't understand. It just makes me want to email them all and say "You can buy that somewhere else cheaper"...OH WELL!!!!

Oh and Happy Valentine's Day...

Jennifer

cakemommy Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 11

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!!!

One specific pan I have that I haven't seen anywhere is a Holly Hobby pan. I also have a Strawberry Shortcake, Carebears, and Power Rangers to name a few.

Amy

jennifer293 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 2:18am
post #10 of 11

Holly Hobbie is always on ebay, it doesn't do all that great (I guess she has not hit the scene again yet).

But all the others are doing pretty well....

Jennifer

cakemommy Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 3:54am
post #11 of 11

My goodness!!! There are a lot of Holly Hobbies aren't there??? icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

I had planned on holding onto that one anyway so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks for the info.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%