Fbct And Side Of Cake

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 3:13am by bjfranco

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:27am
post #1 of 5

Can you place a fbct on the SIDE of a cake? Is there anything I should know before I try this?

The cake will be iced with buttercream made with Hi-ratio shortening.

Would it be better to use chocolate? i am just worried about it melting b/c it is getting sort of hot here now....

Thanks

Julia

4 replies
AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:38am
post #2 of 5

I don't know about the transfer on the side of a cake but I just wanted to say that I understand your situation.

I live in S.C. also and I just want to say to please be careful. I made a cake for a cousin and used half shortening and half butter. When I got to her house (near Myrtle Beach), most of the icing was in the bottom of the box along with all those flowers I made.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5

I see no reason why you couldn't as long as it fit on the side of the cake. I would make it fairly thin though, so that it won't be heavy and possibly pull the icing off.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:42am
post #4 of 5

thanks, my icing is all hi ratio shortening.....I learned the hard way about melting icing too! I had a cream cheese icing fall apart too......shortening only now!

icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Julia

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

I did it one time and probably will not do it again. (see my baby sesame street cake with the yellow one on top). Those are FBCT and I put them on the day before and I went to bed praying that they would hold.......... They did hold and they were delivered 35 miles away and they did fine but I was very nervous.

I do know that there is a lady on CC that puts FBCT on the sides of her cakes and that is what made me do it. I did read later that they are done thinner (mine always turn out thick) and flat (on back) so they make complete contact with the icing on your cake and "stick" better.

bj

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%