I'm Nervous...

Lounge By jescapades Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 12:07am by LanaC

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:10am
post #1 of 9

i have been a sahm since before my boys were born (i had twins and was a high risk pregnancy, so my dr. pulled me out of work a month before they were born. they are 18 months old now). i recently decided to go back to work. just part time, two nights a week and one weekend day. i will be working at a specialty food market called stew leonard's. i am so nervous. i haven't been working outside the house since august 2005.

yikes!!

i guess i just need reassurance that i will be okay and that it's not the end of the world that i won't be here for my boys 24 hours a day.

8 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:22am
post #2 of 9

You will do just fine! thumbs_up.gif

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:23am
post #3 of 9

jescapades, I sympathize with you on this subject because I am about to go through this myself except I haven't worked since I found out I was pregnant with my son and he is almost 5 years old! I almost have a panic attack everytime I think about it. The guilt thing about not being there for you sons 24/7 I totally understand. But i'm sure they will be fine. It's only 3 days a week. It will give you a little break and you'll be a better mom for it. Don't beat yourself up so much. Good luck with your new job!

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:21am
post #4 of 9

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I've been a SAHM since April of 2005. We could definately use the extra money, but unfortunately there aren't many jobs here. I live in a college town and all of the part time jobs are usually taken by the college and high school kids. There are day time part time jobs but I don't have anyone to watch my kids (the reason I'm a SAHM) and I don't want to pay for daycare. All of the money I would make would go to paying for daycare. I hope things work out for you. Good luck on your new job. thumbs_up.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 9

I know how you feel. I had worked until our 3rd baby came along. I have 2 years until I will go back, and I am already wondering what I can do and still be home for the kids after school.

It's great to get out of the house and it will be great for DH to spend quality time with the kids. I miss being out in the world, but I think staying home was a good idea for my family.

Good luck and enjoy your new job.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 9

I am sure it will go just fine! I have an almost 15 month old and I had to go back to work full time when he was 3 months old. We still would like me to figure out a way to just work part time but I have to say that he is very social because he spends a lot of time with grandmas, grandpas and dad and not only mom. I'm sure it will take a little adjusting but hang in there and you'll find your rhythm and it will be great. Good luck!

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 9

I have been a SAHM since 1996 with the exception of a year when I worked at my DD's school. I think your feelings are normal about going back to work. I know when I went back for that year that I was wondering if I juggle the house, kids and work all over again. I did manage but it was hard because right after I started working, I found out I was pregnant with our 3rd DD so I was always exhausted. My youngest will be going to school in 2 years and I am already feeling nervous about going back to work. I just wonder what employer would want someone who hasn't worked in over 10 years.

You will be fine once you get into a routine. I know when I did go back that my DH start helping out around the house more. I never really asked for his help becasue I felt like that was part of my "job". Good luck on your new job. You will be able to do it. Make sure you ask for help from you DH if you need it.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 9

You'll be great! Relax and enjoy the time away from home.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 12:07am
post #9 of 9

Going from sah status back into the working world is very nerve wracking, but you will do fine. I worked in a very high profile job until the day #2 was born (who knew the pain was actually labor). I stayed out until #3 was about two years old (total of about five years or so). When I returned to work, it was a little less profile, but it allowed me to work from home and still get the job done, plus giving me a flexible schedule. It's hard. On one hand you worry about someone else "raising your kids", but on the other hand, you worry about not contributing financially to your family. Plus, everyone weighs in with their two cents (just like I'm doing now lol). Folks who remain in the working world don't always understand the difficulties associated with a sah returning to work and all the conflicting emotions. Just remember, this too shall pass and after a couple of days on the job you will meet new friends and find your place, both at work and at home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%