Help~ Wedding Cake For Saturday!

Decorating By christabelle682 Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm by leily

christabelle682 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christabelle682 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 14

I agreed to do a wedding cake for this weekend- it's a St. patty's day wedding. It is to be a 3 tiered chocolate cake with a chocolate mint filling. I don't want to use liqueur as I don't know if children will be eating this or not. Any ideas? I was almost thinking of choclate pudding with a mint creamer added in, but not sure that is stable enough for tiers. I could do a chocolate mint buttercream- but that seems so plain to me. This is my first wedding cake, but not my first tiered cake- and I really want this to go well. I refuse to spend hours making a filling- so it needs to be somewhat simple. I did find one recipe using mint chocolate creamer- but can't find it in stores around my area...Help~ ideas, please! icon_surprised.gif

13 replies
christabelle682 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 14

ANYONE??

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 14

I've use andes mint chips before in filling and it worked wonderfully - a bit strong, but good.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 14

You can make a mousse. I package of mint pudding mix with whipping cream. I don't know if there is a choc mint pudding out there. But it is a thought.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 14

I use peppermint oil from the candy making aisle. Add a few drops to chocolate ganache or other filling. Be careful...it is strong.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 14

I would have to search for it but there was a thread about Loann's mint flavor.

I essence they say it works well with just a little drop at a time. Maybe use it in the White Chocolate Butter Cream recipe.

just a suggestion HTH.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 14

There's a recipe on here called Cookies and Cream. Instead of using oreos, you could use Hershey's chocolate mint cookies or York cookies or any mint chocolate flavored cookie that you can find. HTH.

icingprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingprincess Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 14

i would use the recipe that you all ready have just b-cuz you all ready know how to make it and i little bit of liqueur wont affect ne one

christabelle682 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 14

Good ideas- thanks. Does anyone know if pudding is thick/stable enough to use as a filling for stacked tiers?

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 14

You could also try a mint flavoring from the coffee aisle. I've done that with raspberry. Just be sure to check if it contains sugar already. If it does, you'd have to adjust the amount of sugar you use in the rest of the filling.

Also, don't they make a mint extract or flavoring for baking, like a vanilla extract?

Mickig

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 14

I would be afraid to use pudding. It would be very slippery.

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by christabelle682

Good ideas- thanks. Does anyone know if pudding is thick/stable enough to use as a filling for stacked tiers?

It shouldn't matter as the tiers should be dowled anyway.

Perhaps you could thicken the pudding further with gelatin.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 14

You could add peppermint syrup (like the syrups you add to latte's) to your buttercream and even tint it green for your filling.
Jacqui

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 14

hmm.. what about Girl Scout Thin Mints crushed up into buttercream? Hmm I may have to try that too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%