More Questions About Dream Whip Icing

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 2:25am by KrazyKross

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 11

Ok so i bought everything to make the dream whip icing. I dont know why but i am soooooo stressed about this cake. I know i can bake i know i can decorate but i have never made my sons birthday cake before. A few more questions about this dream whip............ Does it crust?????? I am coloring it red it will deepen as it sets correct??? I have 3 things of the no taste red and i have some pink to get it pink first. I do have black and brown from a previous cake will adding some black or maybe some brown help deepen the red???? If i make a batch of this icing on wednesday to try if i like it will i be able to use it on saturday or will i need to start over??? I think that is it for now hopefully i wont have any more questions about this.

10 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 11

wish I could help more here, but I can tell you that putting a drop of brown, or black will deepen the red, I would try to do all I could with the red, and then and only then would I add brown or black...if you do use brown or black, then really really small amount at a time.. what are you doing for your sons cake that you need alot of red? Just wondering.

susanmm23 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 11

I am doing the 3d spiderman from this site. So basically the whole thing is red. I figured i would mix up all the icing and add some pink to get it going then probably have to add all 3 reds and i will let it set over night to deepen adn it if isnt dark enough only then would i add brown or black.

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, the dream whip icing crust beautifully no problem there. It taste great and pipes great also. Good Luck with your cake i'm sure it will turn out really nice.

cake77

susanmm23 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 11

ok big change of plans......... i was totaly freaking out about the red icing. So my son picked out another cake from this site. he was kind of disappointed when i told him spidermans head was not going to be cake. SO now im not so stressed. Anyways i am still using the dream whip icing. im soooooo excited now that im not freaking about the color.

susanmm23 Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 11

can i make a batch tonight and it still be good to use on friday and still good to eat on saturday? OR should i wait until thursday to make it? Im really wanting to try this before i put it on the cake.

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 11:35am
post #7 of 11

I have made dream whip icing ahead of time, refrigerated it, then used it two days later with no problem. I beat the icing again with a spatula before I used it. I would think your shelf life time would be judged by the milk.

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 11

I was taught the dream whip recipe by the owners of a local bakery. They did not refrigerate it even though it was made with milk. Since they made wedding cakes every week, they made it in big batches. I have used it for many years and have had cakes sit out for several days with no problem. I even used it on a Christmas cake that the family didn't cut until New Years Day. As far as I know, no one has ever complained of getting sick.

Also, it does crust so you can let it crust and smooth it with parchment, paper towels, or whatever your choice may be.

susanmm23 Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 11

thats great im going to try it tonight. im so excited to finally have a good recipe beside butter cream to use. as i have said before my family hates butter cream. the party is on saturday. so saturday night i should have the pic posted of the finished cake. i have told you guys that i am excited about this cake. lol

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 11

KrazyKross,

Is this the same Dream Whip Icing recipe that has been posted in the forums on this website, that the bakery you worked for used and that you use now? icon_biggrin.gif

Cake77

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:25am
post #11 of 11

I posted it about 2 weeks ago on another thread about
Dream Whip. If you need it again, e-mail me at [email protected].

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%