Egg Whites From A Carton????

Decorating By tlnewman Updated 12 Feb 2006 , 1:30am by bakersofcakes

tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 15

I have to make my boss a cake for his b-day and he likes a white cake. My question is do you use egg whites from a carton or real egg whites? I am using the Duncan Hines moist deluxe cake mix with white chocolate pudding because I need a dense cake. PLEASE HELP!!

14 replies
bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 15

I make the DH white cake all the time & always use real egg whites. I've never used egg whites from a carton so I don't know how that would work.
HTH,
bakersofcakes icon_smile.gif

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 15

I priced them and it is cheaper to use the real egg whites and throw away the yokes than it is to use the ones in the carton. Don't know if that helps you to make a decision or not.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 15

Aren't egg whites in the carton colored yellow anyway?! I've never found pure white egg whites in a carton. icon_confused.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 15

They make egg whites in a container. It's called Just Whites. They are a white color. 1 oz. = 1 egg white. They will work fine.

tlnewman Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 15

Which is better to use?

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 15

Yeah, I bought some of that egg white stuff the other day just cause it was on sale.. Any other product the egg came out yellow.. When I went to pour that, it really grossed me out!!! LOL never again will I want to buy that one again.. I like my eggs dyed, I guess...

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 15

Thats weird, they dye the whites yellow? Isn't the point in a lot of the cakes that use egg whites for the cake to be bright white? (say in angel food or white cake).

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 15

For my white cakes I use the eggs and throw the yolks away.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 15

I think they make them yellow to make them look more like real eggs when they are cooked. I don't think they make certain brands with baking in mind.

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 15

I have used the egg whites from the carton and egg whites from an egg on the same recipe for two different cakes and the cake made with the real egg whites came out 10X better. I would go with the real egg whites. HTH

tlnewman Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 12:45am
post #12 of 15

Thank you everyone! I have both but I wanted the best taste!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 12:48am
post #13 of 15

REAL!!!!!

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 1:12am
post #14 of 15

There are 2 types of egg whites in a carton. One is for whipping and one is just for straight recipe use. Make sure you but the right kind if you go that route.

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 1:30am
post #15 of 15

You don't have to throw the egg yolks away! I usually just refrigerate them & have scrambled eggs the next day-you can add a whole egg or have just the yolks. I believe you can also freeze them for later.

Actually, the other day I had 3 egg yolks left after baking my white cake & was going to have meatloaf for supper, so I substituted the 3 egg yolks for the whole egg + egg white I usually use. I couldn't taste the difference either. It was still good! BTW, the family never even knew I'd "changed" the "recipe." icon_wink.gif
HTH
bakersofcakes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%