New Here And Had A Few Questions

Decorating By Caribbeanguy Updated 26 Mar 2007 , 1:22am by Caribbeanguy

Caribbeanguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caribbeanguy Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 20

Hello all I found this site as I was looking for a way to impress my wife and I decided to do a cake for her birthday with MMF and paint it. I have been trying my hand at molding flowers particularly roses with playdough is this similar in consistency with MMF? I also read that the flowers needed to be made in advance and dried, unless you use gumpaste, fixodent denture powder or Gum tex? Are these methods simply for the drying effect and do not effect the edibleness of the MMF? Is Edibleness even a word?? I gues what I am trying to ask is whether the Gumtex or fixodent contents in the MMF make it just decoration and not an edible part of the cake? Also what is simply the best way to adhere MMF to itself in layers. Thanks and This site is absolutely great.

19 replies
GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 20

Welcome to the addiction! I can answer a couple of your questions. To adhere MMF to itself I use vodka or an extract, the alchohol evaporates and it dries very quickly. I'm not sure about the Gum tex or fixodent being edible, but just using the MMF will dry, just not as fast. Maybe someone else can jump in and get you more info.
Again, welcome to the insanity of this site! We love it here!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 20

Welcome to CC! You are going to love it here! I am not adept enough in fondant to give you much advice as I am learning about it also, so can't give much advice to you but did want to say how sweet it is of you to want to make a special cake for your wife!

I can tell you fondant is very edible and most flowers made of fondant and royal icing do need to dry well in advance of being used.
Playdough is a very handy thing to have around!! I use it to poke my flower nails down into while I am making roses one after the other. It is so forgiving and reusable forever.

I hope once you get your wife's cake made you will take pictures and post them for us to see. It is awesome for you to do this! thumbs_up.gif

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 20

I probably don't have any good advice to offer you, but I just had to say what an awesome husband you are to do this! If a cake or surprise is to happen in our house, you can bet it was not my DH who did it. Welcome to Cake Central and I hope you get all of the info you need. Be sure to post a picture of your finished cake for us all to admire!

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeanguy

Hello all I found this site as I was looking for a way to impress my wife and I decided to do a cake for her birthday with MMF and paint it. I have been trying my hand at molding flowers particularly roses with playdough is this similar in consistency with MMF? I also read that the flowers needed to be made in advance and dried, unless you use gumpaste, fixodent denture powder or Gum tex? Are these methods simply for the drying effect and do not effect the edibleness of the MMF? Is Edibleness even a word?? I gues what I am trying to ask is whether the or fixodent contents in the MMF make it just decoration and not an edible part of the cake? Also what is simply the best way to adhere MMF to itself in layers. Thanks and This site is absolutely great.

Welcome to CC! How sweet of you to work so hard to suprise your wife! As far as drying flowers, you will need to make them in advance...gumpaste and fondant both take a bit to dry...GUMTEX, is a product you add to gumpaste to make it more workable. I have never heard of fixodent denture powder and if it is edible..I would stick with Gumtex. I have used gumpaste glue to attach fondant to itself in layers...all you do is dilute some of the gumpaste in water...very small amount, it wont take much, let it get gouey(sp). I think it works very well.
Good luck and I hope that helped a bit!

Caribbeanguy Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 20

thank you all for the kind words I have been researching quite a bit and finally feel up to the task, I definetly will post pics of the cake once it is finished, I have never done anything as elaborate as this before, once we made a guitar cake together for my now 4yr old daughter's birthday, but I was not happy with the way the frosting came out so I went searching for a way to have the icing smooth and better looking, my research took me here. One final question is the Gum tex edible as well? And thank you all for your assistance

Caribbeanguy Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 20

another question when I ice teh cake with BC should I let it dry a bit or should I apply the MMF right away? I have decided to try a pillow cake and do the ribbon roses on the cake with some blossom flowers and swags I also plan to do some RI embroidery on the cake as well. If I can pull this off she will be totally impressed, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me to make it easier? Thanks for all the help

Caribbeanguy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 20

any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 20

I haven't done fondant accents yet - to get a more informed opinion, you might try posting another time with something like " Putting fondant onto BC - question" Image
Good luck!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 20

Hi and Welcome,

Here's a list of acronyms which should be helpful:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-acronyms.html

Here's a super (multi-linked) thread on how to make a fondant covered stacked cake:
(includes recipes for mmf and more - just disregard the whimsical parts)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-592731-.html

Article on How-to-Make a Pillow Cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article66-How-To-Make-A-Pillow-Cake.html

Here's a super thread on making roses:
(everything from candy clay to gumpaste - but no b/c)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-65833-.html

Here are some helpful videos:
(everything from how to frost to icing roses)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-780301-.html
(provided by nglez09)

Thread on different types of frosting, filling and more:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-163261-.html

Nice frosting recipes:

http://www.sweetcelebrations.us/recipes

Here's a doctored cake mix recipe that is excellent:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

HTH

JanH Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 20

Using Fixodent (denture adhesive) in fondant:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/WeddingFondantDecorating.htm

HTH

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:08am
post #12 of 20

I have put fondant of buttercream both just after frosting the buttercream and after it has set. the fondant takes to the buttercream better if done before it sets and crust. Hope that helps! Welcome to CC and Good Luck! I look forward to seeing the cake!

Caribbeanguy Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 20

thanks guys i took an attempt at some things i found on here and online the pics follow it is my first try at this so some suggestions are always welcomed, my wife was impressed the MMF I think I made too swet but still it wasgood to see her expression
Image[/img]

Caribbeanguy Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 20

the rose in the middle is white chocolate and the rest is MMF with buttercream underneath and The fondant is colored with betty crocker gel coloring, and the cake is chocolate with royal icing in the middle

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 20

looks like a great start to what could be a future career in cake decorating!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 20

Oh my Gosh !! What a GOOD job ! I'll bet she just LOVED it !!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:57pm
post #18 of 20

Excellent job! Way to go! I have to ask you a question now...........are you addicted to cake decorating yet??? icon_biggrin.gif

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 9:32pm
post #19 of 20

Great Job! The cake came out beautiful and I'm sure she was super proud and impressed! Keep on decorating.

Caribbeanguy Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 1:22am
post #20 of 20

yeah she was very impressed I know I can do better and there is room for improvement and yes I am very addicted now, I have already started thinking of another cake I can design and make for me daughter's birthday coming up, hopefully I can do better at that one, thanks to everyone who helped me on here and guided me in my task I am really enjoying this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%