Wilton's Roll Out Cookies?

Baking By prettycakes Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 11:57am by anothrcookiejar

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 14

I was just looking at the post NFSC vs Penny's. I love to read these I get so many ideas. I am just wondering if anyone uses Wilton's cookie recipe and what everyone thinks about Wilton's compaired to the others mentioned?

See, I use the Wilton's recipe, and I am so busy right now I have to stick with my tried and true. I like that I do not have to refidgerate. I only have to bake for 4 minutes. The cookies stay flat. The flavor is good and can be changed for the occasion. At 1/4" thickness the shape is pretty consistant. I can't think of any other points of intrest right now. Let me know if there are others.

Thanks

13 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 14

I use Wiltons recipe and have no problems with it, so i haven't tried the others. I figure why fix what isn't broken.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 14

When I make roll out cookies, I use Wilton's recipe. I like that it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Haven't tried the other's from CC.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 14

I'm with all of you. I love the Wilton recipe. I recently tried the NFSC recipe and while it was a terrific recipe (really does hold its shape well) I like the ease of no refrigeration. It also stays nice and soft for eating while holding up well on a stick. No complaints about the Wilton recipe here!

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 14

I agree with everyone else. I use the Wilton Large Batch recipe. Since I use a lot of cookies on my cakes, I usually just need a little bit. I make several small balls and double wrap them in plastic wrap, then put them all into a zip-lock bag and thow them in the freezer. When I need just a few cookies, I pull one of the balls out, leave it on the counter, and when I get home from work it is ready to go. Sometimes it get a little crumbly, but I just knead it a little bit and it is back to normal.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 14

I have been going through this for the past several months... I have tried almost every SC recipe out there and they have all fallen flat in my eyes. Other people like them, but none of them have been all that I had hoped. I don't find Wilton's to taste very good in my opinion, but I am very picky. I have tried the Flour Pot (doesn't taste very good but holds shape) Toba's (doesn't taste very good but holds shape) Penny's (tastes ok, but doesn't hold shape) Wilton didn't hold it's shape as well as I'd hoped, something my mom used to use (tastes ok, but won't hold shape) etc, etc, etc. I will not bore you with the rest of the details. I am sticking to The Flour Pot recipe right now because it holds it's shape pretty well and my customers think they taste good, which is ALL that matters in the long run. Not to say that they DON'T taste good... any of the recipes, but they just lack something that I am looking for. I think the problem to me is the raw flour taste, even though they are baked. I hate the taste of raw flour. Who knows, maybe I am just too picky. Everyone else seems to like them!

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks I love to hear other's opinions. I am off to bake and decorate. I will check back to see what everyone has to say.

Gapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gapi Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 14

I also use Wilton´s recipe. I´ve had no problem with it and I stick to it. I recently tried Toba´s chocolate roll-out cookie recipe. It´s really good.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 14

I used Wiltons once and it did not hold its shape at all for me! I love Penny's recipe, I think it tastes the best and it really holds it shape. I wonder why we all have differant results with the same cookie recipe? NFSC also holds its shape very well but I am not thrilled with the taste.

joby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joby1 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 14

I did not like the NFSC till I used butter flavoring in it. I think they taste great with rolled BC! I have not made that many cookies though, so definitely no expert =)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton78

I wonder why we all have differant results with the same cookie recipe?

I think it's all about preference. What I think tastes good might make you go "blech!" and vice versa! We would agree on some things, and not on others. icon_wink.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 14

I use Wilton's recipe, 1/4" and 3/8' thickness, but flavor them with vanilla, almond and orange extract. Very tasty, don't spread, very nice for bouquets.
I don't understand why the NFSC need to be refrigerated or why would they be that different since the recipe looks to me like a double recipe from wilton's large batch. Only for the salt and less than double of the baking powder.

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 14

When I used the Wilton recipe, I loved the taste, but they didn't hold their shape like I'm used to. I was using NFSC until I tried Penny's. Now I won't go back to NFSC. I love Penny's. Try adding flavored coffee creamer (powdered) for different flavors.

anothrcookiejar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anothrcookiejar Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:57am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

mitsel8
Try adding flavored coffee creamer (powdered) for different flavors.

mitsel8, How much coffee creamer would you add to the recipe? I haven't tried creamers yet. Wanna share what flavors you've tried?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%