Great Wedding Cake Recipes Needed

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 8:13pm by have2kids

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 12

Good Morning, ladies & gents!

I have been asked to do a wedding cake for April 7, and although I have done 1 other wedding cake before, it was not stacked together and I used boxed mixes in which I doctored. This cake will be stacked and the tiers are 14-12-10-8. I'm really scared of this. icon_sad.gif

I guess what I'm asking is, do any of you have really good, moist cake recipes that will hold up to this weight? I will, of course, be doweling the layers, but I was just needing some advise on recipes. Something that has been tried and true to most of you.

I will also be transporting this cake assembled about 30 miles away. I have never done this before, either.

Any advise will, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Wanda

11 replies
Wandootie Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 12

Bumping!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 12

I have a really dense chocolate cake recipe that I'd be willing to share, but it's scratch. I don't have it with me, but I can send it to you when I get home. Is that what you're looking for? It's really sturdy; it's perfect for a multi-tiered wedding cake.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 12

I'm not sure as I have only stacked two tiers before, but the white almond sour cream cake seemed to hold up tremendously. I would think it would work for your cake. But I'm not sure! I'm sure someone else knows more about this than I do, but if I had to bake one right now that is what I would try. I hope that helps.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 12

What flavor are you looking for?

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 12

I don't have any special recipe or advice to give, but I'm doing a wedding cake in April as well-the same size...the advice I got from here was do not try to travel with the cake assembled so I will deliver it and set it up at the reception site. I would prepare it, dowel each stack and then assemble there, if you can. I'm taking my "tool" box and extra icing. However, I'm traveling 1-1/2 hours with this cake. I'm just not experienced enough to even try it assembled! Good luck and at least this will give you an extra bump so some more experienced people can help!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiser73

I'm not sure as I have only stacked two tiers before, but the white almond sour cream cake seemed to hold up tremendously. I would think it would work for your cake. But I'm not sure! I'm sure someone else knows more about this than I do, but if I had to bake one right now that is what I would try. I hope that helps.

I was going to recommend that one too, It is in the recipes section here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-0-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

Wandootie Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks, guys!

The bride wants a french vanilla type cake. I was wondering about doctoring a DH french vanilla cake mix, but not sure that it would hold up to the weight issue. Maybe if I only assemble the bottom 2 tiers and the last 2 when I arrive at the reception site, and dowel, dowel, dowel...do ya'll think this would work?

Wanda

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 12

I think that would work for you...traveling with 2 tiers each...I have done this once for quite a distance and it was fine-I was a nervous wreck, but the cake was fine!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 12

I used doctored cakes mixes and have stacked 4 tiers with no problems ... however, I don't transport my cakes already tiered. I have transported 2 tiers and 2 tiers then stack those together when I get to the reception and this has worked well for me. HTH and good luck!! Remember to post pics for us to see!!

shannonfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonfl Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 12

There is a recipe I found in the recipe section for a durable 3d wedding cake I use french vanilla box mix with french vanilla pudding in it and it is incredibly moist, durable and very yummy.

have2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have2kids Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 8:13pm
post #12 of 12

I always assemble when I get to the reception now. I transported a 3 layed all put together once and it was a mess by the time I got there. I always carry extra icing and flowers with me to cover the oops spots too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%