Intense Colours?

Decorating By p106_peppy Updated 12 Apr 2005 , 7:03pm by cake77

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 6:07pm
post #31 of 42

triplemom,

What is the house buttercream recipe from the whimsical bakehouse, that you are talking about, you said that it is soooo light sounds great. I don't think that I have heard of this before, Is it something new?

Cookieman, Great cake I haven't worked with fondant yet, but am thinking of doing it soon.

cake77

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 6:35pm
post #32 of 42

ok im not going to make the 3d spidy anymore. My son changed his mind (thank goodness) He saw another cake on this site and i am going to make that one its under birthday cakes on the 4th page the very last pic. I am going to use blue instead of red for the majority of the cake. works out great cause blue is his fav color. We will make a few changes to the design as far as colors and the buildings. Any tips for getting a good blue color.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 7:15pm
post #33 of 42

I like lots of royal blue with just a touch of black. It makes a nice deep blue.

susanmm23 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 7:42pm
post #34 of 42

and the blue doesnt taste bad right????

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 1:25am
post #35 of 42

The reason the colors can end up making your icing taste bad is because you have to use so much coloring paste to get the intense color you want with either red or black. I use very little of the blue coloring to get blue and I agree that the royal blue with just a touch of black makes a very nice blue. But I also will not buy any more Wilton colors. Americolor is the choice for me. I have to order by mail, but it is worth it. BTW, great cake Cookieman!

susanmm23 Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 2:12am
post #36 of 42

i want to order some but have to use up my wilton first. After that i am going to americolor. i am still going to use some red just as the borders though

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 7:34pm
post #37 of 42

cake77,

The House Buttercream recipe that I used was indeed very light and everyone loved it. The recipe is this:

Stir together in mixer bowl:
6 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Add and whip at low speed:
1 cup boiling water (3/4 cup on hot days)
Whip until smooth and cool.

Add and whip until smooth:
2 3/4 cups high-ratio or regular vegetable shortening
6 oz (1 1/2 sticks) slightly chilled butter, cut into 1" pieces

Increase the speed to med-high. Whip until light, fluffy and doubled in volume (10-20 minutes).

I wasn't sure about the recipe but wanted to try something new. Keep in mind this is a non-crusting buttercream so it stays very soft however it is easy to work with and tastes pretty darn good, not too sweet at all. It stays nice and shiny too. My total whipping time was probably about 35-40 minutes so make sure your mixer can handle it.

Enjoy!

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 10:54pm
post #38 of 42

i just ordered about 7 different colors from americolor... i wish they had pictures of the colors or something... i wasn't sure on the shade of red so i ordered red red, soft pink, deep pink, dusty rose & burgundy... should be fun mixing all those to find my colors icon_smile.gif
i also got the leaf green and electric pink... shipping is a little expensive for this stuff though... eh, maybe it's just me

cake77 Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 11:23pm
post #39 of 42

Tripletmom,

Thanks for posting the icing recipe. I'm sure that my mixer will handle it, it is a Kitchenaide professional 6. I will be trying this recipe soon.

Cake77

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 11:27pm
post #40 of 42

Hey cake77, since you mentioned it....

Is that mixer the top of the line one they make? THe one with the really high motor wattage? I'm looking into mixers right now and want one with as much power as I can find....

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 1:54am
post #41 of 42

Hey there everyone!!!!! I just got finished reading all the posts to this thread and learned quite a few tips on how to make certain colors, thanks! Anyway, I'm responding because I know a lot of you use AmeriColor and I do too and it is the best gel paste to use. Anyway, I buy mine from www.doitwithicing.com. They are located in San Diego. The owner's name is Linda and she is wonderful. I buy all my supplies from her when I visit and online. She carries AmeriColor 12/.75 oz. STUDENT KIT Assorted Colors

(Super Black, Royal Blue, Sky Blue, Chocolate Brown, Lemon Yellow, Teal, Leaf Green, Orange, Deep Pink, Super Red, Violet, Fuchsia) This kit retails for $16.95 Another great must have color is Electric Green!!!!! I used that color for my easter cupcakes in the "other cakes" gallery. Check it out.! I just love it. She also carries the black as well plus about a billion other colors!!!

Happy baking everyone,

Amy

cake77 Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 7:03pm
post #42 of 42

Tripletmom,

Yes as for as I know it is. It is the 600watt motor I believe with the 6 quart bowl, which allows for making double batches. My hubby got it for me for christmas of 2003, and told me to order it and make sure I got what I wanted so it would last, and I love it, it works great I even make home made dinner rolls with it.

Cake77

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%