A Canadian Learns About "red Velvet"!

Decorating By antonia74 Updated 11 Feb 2006 , 2:26am by golfgirl1227

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 15

Wooowwwww!! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Take a peek at that colour baking away in my oven right now. We just don't get Red Velvet in Canada...I don't know, is it just Ontario??

I know it is a very traditional southern US cake, but I just never remember having it growing up? icon_confused.gif

Anyway, big Valentine's themed wedding this weekend and this is what we chose...how fitting! Thanks for the absolutely yummy yummy recipe Ahvon!!! thumbs_up.gif

*** big hint though...don't attempt to bake this in the 3" pans, I got a major sinking middle when I tried a 10" a few hours ago *** icon_mad.gif
LL

14 replies
princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 15

wow...that is so RED!!!! i've seen martha stewart make this on her show and she used 2...TWO bottles of red colouring...!!!cant wait to see the finished product!

antonia74 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 15

You should see all the disposible gloves I've used today! Saved my hands though, that's for sure. icon_lol.gif

One question I do have though...why even bother with the tiny tiny addition of the cocoa powder? Is it for colour? Taste? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 15

I always thought it was to give a slightly richer red color instead of being just bright red and also I have heard something with the alkaline in it balances any odd taste you may get from the amount of food coloring used.......I always say "stick to the recipes" they put all that junk in there for a reason.......usually.....LOL icon_smile.gif\\

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 15

Gorgeous!!!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 15

Well..........what they say down south that it is actually a chocolate cake...............hmmmmmmm makes you wonder about us southerners.

I love Red Velvet cake!!! Nothing is prettier then cutting into a red velvet cake and all the oohhhs and aahhhss you hear.

I can't wait to see your finished product.

Antonia74,,, if you get a chance (I see how busy you are) look at my post about a mardi gras topper. ANY feed back from you would be appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

bj icon_wink.gif

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 15

those are some gorgeous red cakes!!!!!

antonia74 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 15

All baked!

Well, they are now a gorgeous shade of burgundy...almost "oxblood" colour and the smell is simply divine!! icon_smile.gif

bjfranco Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 15

what type of frosting are you going to use? just wondering. icon_biggrin.gif

bj

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 15

I can't wait to try the recipe for my Dad, he loves Red Velvet cake. And no, I don't think it's an Ontario thing, Red Velvet is simply not a 'Canadian' thing.

Quick question....What kind of oven are you using to fit that many cakes at one time? If it's a non-commercial oven do you have to extend the baking time for the cakes?

As well, how do you keep track of all the different sizes and make sure you don't overbake them?

antonia74 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 15

Well, the icing is a bit odd. This wedding's ************************************************************************************************************************* but that's what the bride wants and that's what she'll get. We did a tester 6" cake for her last month and she is beyond excited about this.

Never having had Red Velvet and the real frosting combo before, I will certainly be trying one out soon to see what we're missing!

The icing on the outside of the cake is the vanilla IMBC.

Oh, and I'm using my home studio oven today because they are icing 2000 Valentine's Day cookies at our kitchen and there was no room for me. My home oven is just a basic oven, not huge and not convection. I turned the temp down to 325 and I can fit a 6", 8", 10" and 12" layer in at one time. Surprisingly, this cake bakes very quickly for some reason?!

To keep track, the larger cakes go to the back of the oven...the smaller cakes at the front. I have a whiteboard here where I've written 6"/8"/9"/10"/12" and three spaces for checkmarks. As each layer comes out, I check beside that number and I know that I've baked all three layers for each cake size. After 30 minutes, I set the timer for only 10 minutes and keep going back to take out the layers as they bake.

******* EDITED TO REMOVE DESCRIPTION BECAUSE CAKE WILL BE ENTERED IN VALENTINE'S DAY CONTEST!!!!

bjfranco Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:20pm
post #12 of 15

great question tripletmom!! I was wondering the same thing when I saw all those cakes!! icon_eek.gif

bjfranco Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 15

What the brides want --- the brides get!! If she likes it that is all that matters. I know it will be wonderful............. Now how about that oven question? hmmmmm icon_razz.gif

bj icon_wink.gif

bjfranco Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 15

Oh I see your answer now........... icon_redface.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 2:26am
post #15 of 15

I've heard the cocoa is for taste- even though it's only a small amount, I think that it has something to do with all of the red coloring put into the cake.

It's one of my favorites, although I'm pretty sure I couldn't do chocolate icing with it. It's gotta be cream cheese!!!!! (I know, I know...brides get what they want).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%