How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Amt Of Clients

Business By dandy207 Updated 10 Feb 2006 , 12:58pm by Sherry0565

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 6:47am
post #1 of 6

Im just starting out with the whole cake making thing, and i would like to eventually start selling cake out of my home. How long did it take most of you to get a good amt of buisness?

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 6

i'm still working on that, it really depends on if you are in an area that allows you to advertise and if you are ready to put yourself out there.

I work outside the home full time, so i'm limited with how much i can do on the side. I'm also, not very outgoing, so its difficult for me to put myself out there and sell.

Sorry i guess this doesn't really help you, just know that people have a way of finding you. I even have an unlisted number and still get calls for cakes, but i limit myself to no more then two a week. Many weeks i have nothing, then all of a sudden i'll get bombarded with inquiries.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 6

Just in the last 2 years my business has really grown, but I wasn't actively seeking clients. I made a cake for a teacher at the school I worked at and then people just started calling. I have also gotten associated with a cooking school/retail kitchen gadget store.

Try introducing yourself to wedding/formal stores, take samples to your doctor's office, schools, vet's office and at work.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 6

I've always just done cakes for people by word of mouth. But I'm only looking to do three a week or so. Still, the way my reputation gets out (we are military family and move every couple of years) is always at a school or toddler group. The trick is to bring the cake TO the function - church, school, co-op group. It seems small potatoes, but most of my business starts with birthdays and there are ALWAYS birthdays when there are kids around. Then word spreads for baby/bridal showers, weddings, etc. Never underestimate the power of moms' and teachers' word of mouth icon_smile.gif. Best of luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 6

Do a bridal show, have great samples, and do beautiful display cakes, and believe me, you will start getting non-stop phone calls the next day. That was the best investment I could have done...it was slightly expensive, but I've made it back and a whole bunch more. One month later and my phone still rings.

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 6

The best advertisement is by Word of Mouth. Make the best-tasting, prettiest cakes you can for the clients you do have, and the word will spread pretty quickly. I also try to go out of my way to do the types of cakes they ask for. (and believe me, some of the things they want incorporated into the decorations are NOT easy) I don't have a particularly Huge customer base, but it grows everyday just by word of mouth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%