Trick To Making Leaves??

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 9 Apr 2005 , 4:47pm by veejaytx

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:06am
post #1 of 11

Ok, can someone tell me what the trick is to making leaves?? i just cannot seem to do it. when i make the leaf, it spreads apart at the base!!
thanks!!
ute

10 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:32am
post #2 of 11

What kind of leaves are you making out of what kind of icing? What do you mean by spreads apart at the base? I would love to help, but I'm not sure what you exactly mean.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:33am
post #3 of 11

What tip are you using??.....I use 352 and my leaves don't "break" anymore.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 3:26am
post #4 of 11

352 is the best tip for leaves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you pulling up too quickly while making the leaves? I really don't know what else it could be. Maybe just practice practice practice!!!

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 3:58am
post #5 of 11

If you're set on the standard cut leaf tips, here's a few things:

1) Crank that sonofathing open, and I mean it. Don't be shy with it; I spread the tip of my 70 open about 3/8" and it works much better.

2) Don't lift the tip up at an angle, when you're pulling away, pull it straight out and away. Lifting it encourages the little toothlike bits to tear the point off of the leaf.

3) Use a stiffer icing from a recipe that has glycerine or corn syrup in it. The addition will help give the frosting some elasticity.

If all else fails, make your leaves from royal icing. My last batch of leaves I did with royal, and only had about 5 out of 150 with the torn tip.

Illy

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:04am
post #6 of 11

If you're using the tip they taught you to use in the Wilton course, just stop and change to a tip 352! Go buy one. Best investment ever for your cake decorating! Our teacher was kind enough to show us her tip 352 and told us she never uses the other one (is it 67?) She does cakes professionally and can't stand the way the tip of the leaf is always open with the other tip!

Blessings,
~AngelWendy

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:28am
post #7 of 11

Yes- throw away the tip you were taught to make them with--- well, unless you want to make swam wings! LOLOLOLOL!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 10:38am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the "tip", I hate to make leaves because they never stick together and don't look like leaves...I could call them ribbons, I guess.

Thanks, very much, I have spread out all the old ones as instructed, but will definitely get the #352.

Janice

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 11

Now that you described your leaves at "ribbons" I think I know what the problem is. IMO, it seems that you're not letting enough of a base for your leaf build up before pulling the tip away.

Amy

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Thanks for the "tip", I hate to make leaves because they never stick together and don't look like leaves...I could call them ribbons, I guess.

Thanks, very much, I have spread out all the old ones as instructed, but will definitely get the #352.

Janice

ok great !! thanks soo very much! problem solved! im gonna go out and get me a tip #352!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 11

I've tried all sorts of approaches and get bad leaves no matter what, and opening up those little slots may make a difference, but just in case I will be getting the 352 tip. I will try to apply your suggestion, cakemommy! Thanks, Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%