Mid Atlantic Cake Show - Pics Of Me And My New "friends

Decorating By BCo Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm by Melvira

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 15

Ok- so here are my new favorite pictures of me and my new found friends from the cake show! I just have to say I was super impressed with all the judges, they were so "normal" and were very nice. I was really impressed with Sandy - she must have sat there and talked to me for a good 10min about the industry and even asked a little about me - she told me she was a lot like me when she first started out - being a perfectionist and wanting to make sure everything was edible - so she told me to learn from her and that she did the work so I didn't have toicon_smile.gif - she said take the help where you can get it with pre-made things or using things that aren't edible to make sure your structure and support are there so you can focus on the rest. She said she spent many years doing it so I could just skip that part b/c she did it for me!! Super nice lady!

Next year I will definitely take some of the classes - This was my first year and I just wanted to get a feel for it!

So here they are ! Duff, Sandy, Nicholas, Norman and Warren!

**Moderator Edited***

Cakecentral Terms and Conditions
"Your MUST crop or blur out, all people's faces before uploading your photos. Uploading photos with people's faces, even your own face is a violation of Cakecentral.com's terms and your photo uploading privileges will be revoked."

14 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 15

Those are awesome pix! Sounds like you had a really great time, although I'm going to have to choke you for being so cute! haha! Isn't it fun to meet people and find out, they are in fact *normal*!!? So cool!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 15

I'm JEALOUS!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Great pics!

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 15

i am so jealous of you and everyone else that got to go. once my life settles down my mom and i are going to go but it will probably be a few years yet.
i LOVE the pictures, you are so cute and you met all my favorite cake celebrities.
glad you had a good time,
Amy

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 15

BRANDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those are the most awesome pics!!!! I am soooo jealous!!!!! That is so fantastic you got to speak with all those greats and especially get your pic with them to post here so all your pals at CC can get a glimpse!!!!!
Waaaayyyyyyy cool sister!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 15

Wow!! You are so fortunate!!!!

Ya know...you and Duff make a pretty cute couple! HMMMMMMM!!!!

Congrats to you for getting to go to the show and getting pics!

Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

Ya know...you and Duff make a pretty cute couple! HMMMMMMM!!!!

Hahaha!! I thought the SAME thing!! icon_wink.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 15

Great pics!!!

Is it me or does Duff always have that "I sniffed too much sugar" look?

BCo Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 15

OMG- you guys are soooo nice!! and funny! I think we make a pretty darn cute couple too!! LOL - maybe I should send him that picture!! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif It was a lot of fun. It's so nice to meet people who you look up to and to realize right away that they are so down to earth and so willing to share. It was an amazing experience for me and I took more away from it then I realized - and I didn't even enter a cake!! LOL

Another thing I wanted to mention to is how fair the judging seems to be. (not that I doubted it wasn't but it was interesting to get some insight on it) at one cake table the judges were tasting the cake and there were 3 of them (judges, that isicon_smile.gif. The one judge (can't remember who it was) tasted the cake and then told Nicholas that while she thought the cake was really good she could not judge it b/c it had peanut butter in it and she didn't care for peanut butter so to be fair she rather had another judge come over and do that cake so it would be fair. How awesome is that. It was fun to eves drop and listen to the judges thought processes and comments. I was just really impressed with them the most. When I was talking to Sandy she also let me in on how they score the cakes and what they look for and how each on is judge individually on the criteria and not as a whole with the group. So basically - you could think one cake looks awesome compared to another cake in that group but the other cake may do better because of the requirements it is being judged on (hope that makes sense)

But THANK YOU ALL - you guys are so sweet!!! I wish I could have met more CCer's but like it was stated- we needed something to identify each other with - But now you all know what I look like so I'll be easy to findicon_smile.gif

And yes, Duff does always have that look! HEE HEE HEE too cute!

BCo Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 15

Sorry guys - I didn't realize that I was breaking the rules with pics of myself I apologize.

Thanks Missey for setting me straight!

If you would like to see them just PM me!

Sorry again.

Brandie

washipaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
washipaper Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:53am
post #11 of 15

I am always a day late and a dollar behind. I missed the posting of the pic before the mod got to it. Oh well. icon_cry.gif

I was so excited when I found out about the 2007 Mid-Atlantic cake show. I took my first cake class last year at this time and just missed the 2006 show. I was so disappointed when I saw the dates for 2007 and found out that I wouldn't be in the area to attend this year's show.

Next year March is off limits to other commitments and I plan on being there.

Joan

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:46pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by washipaper

I am always a day late and a dollar behind. I missed the posting of the pic before the mod got to it. Oh well. icon_cry.gif

Joan

...Bturpin said you could send her a PM if you are interested in seeing the photos Joan! thumbs_up.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 15

One thing I learned about the judges, is it definitely is personal preference. One wrote on my judging form that they didn't think the ribbons completmented the cake, but when I asked another one (N. Lodge) for his critique, he said the ribbons were just fine. But I will add he mentioned that he didn't like foil covered boards (meaning ANY foil - even ones that were a complementary color and not the one that came on the board) and would rather see fondant or cloth covered boards.

BCo Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 15

Hmmm- good info on the boards! Keep that one in mind if I enter next year! Thanks for the heads up!

Melvira Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 15

I am really impressed by the judge that you said swapped places because she didn't care for peanut butter. The thing that drives me nuts is when the judge is like, "well I don't like this flavor, so this is not good". Then something else wins, and it wasn't a fair comparison!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%