Using Food Coloring To Paint A Cake

Decorating By southaustingirl Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 11:30am by emmascakes

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 24

I was watching Sugar Rush the other night (it was a re-run) and it featured Margaret Braun. Some of you may be familiar with her work and her book, 'Cakewalk'.

Anyway, she paints her fondant after she applies the fondant to her cakes. The food coloring she was using didn't look like any food coloring I have seen. It actaully looked like real paint. It didn't look like a gel like Wilton's or Americolor. And she was using it directly from the jar. Wouldn't the food coloring be to concentrated and leave people with painted lips and tongues after eating the cake/fondant?

Any ideas? Thougths?

23 replies
albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 24

I'm not sure what Margaret Braun was using (I hope someone else can answer) but I got advice from a cake supply store owner to paint a cake black instead of trying to color the fondant. I followed her suggestion to use gel color (Wilton or Americolor) and mix it with a little vegetable oil. Then I painted it on with a sponge brush. The color and oil didn't mix well at first, but once they were painted onto the fondant they blended fine. And I didn't notice any stained teeth or lips at the party. icon_smile.gif

See the Steelers cake in my photos.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 24

I saw that too!!! ....And I was wondering that exact same thing! Her paint seemed kind opaque and not gel-like. That cake was gorgeous!!!

I've had trouble getting the paint to go on evenly when I paint on fondant. It always seems like the fondant kind of melts underneath. I use vodka to thin and have had no problems with dusts, just gels.

Courtney

southaustingirl Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 24

I emailed Margaret Braun....hopefully she will respond.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 24

I'd be interested in her response. I was looking at that book the other day and wondering the same thing. Looked like she had diluted some gel color, but it was hard to tell. I liked the look she got though. Will look forward to hearing what she says.

southaustingirl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:34am
post #6 of 24

well, I still have not received a response from Ms. Braun icon_cry.gif

mamacc Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 24

Thanks for e mailing her. Hopefully she will respond!

Courtney

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 24

I was just looking in Mich Turner's book "Spectacular Cakes" and she paints on cakes using cocoa butter melted with dry (powdered) food colors. She has several cakes done with this technique and they're very beautiful.

mamacc Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 24

Still no answer?? I'd really love to know! I would paint fondant much more often if it would go on like hers does! icon_smile.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:05am
post #10 of 24

I am interested in her response (M.Braun's)as well.

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:19am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by albumangel

I'm not sure what Margaret Braun was using (I hope someone else can answer) but I got advice from a cake supply store owner to paint a cake black instead of trying to color the fondant. I followed her suggestion to use gel color (Wilton or ) and mix it with a little vegetable oil. Then I painted it on with a sponge brush. The color and oil didn't mix well at first, but once they were painted onto the fondant they blended fine. And I didn't notice any stained teeth or lips at the party. icon_smile.gif

See the Steelers cake in my photos.

I was about to ask these questions but saw this thread... When you add veg. oil to the gel color how much of each do you put? What does the consistency look like? Paint it on w/ any kind of sponge or brush? I need to make a power ranger cake in black and blue and wanted to try to paint it instead of coloring it since its so hard to get it MMF those colors..
Oh, btw, your cake is perfect for a first timer... it look's soo glossy. did it leave people mouths black? was it sticky?

Thanks!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:08am
post #12 of 24

I probably used half color, half oil, though I just eyeballed it. The color didn't really blend with the oil in my bowl. But using a sponge brush, once it was on the fondant, it blended really well. It took a second or third swipe over each area to coat it well. The store owner I spoke with said it works great for fine brush work, too, but I didn't try it. If I were you, I would try it on a small piece of fondant first to see how it works.

I didn't notice any black lips or teeth at the event. But, then again, we were consuming plenty of alcohol! icon_smile.gif

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #13 of 24

I just made some fondant/gumpaste seashells and I painted them with Kroma Kolors (airbrushing colors) They dried really nice and mixed with other colors to get the color I wanted really well. Worked just like paint. I also mixed in some luster and pearl dust and it worked great.

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:28am
post #14 of 24

I've used gel colors mixed with vodka on several of my cakes and they worked out fine. The only one that I have trouble with is the white that it separates. I painted the fish on my mermaid cake and the logos on my beer cake. For the small details I use it straight from the jar.

mamacc Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 24

I was wondering about just using airbrush colors straight. I've used gels/vodka a bunch of times and it goes on evenly at first but then gets kind of spotted after it sits for a few minutes. I've had much better luck with dusts mixed with vodka.

Courtney

southaustingirl Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:58pm
post #16 of 24

still no response from Ms. Braun....but I just remembered that my co-worker did something to my email so I would stop getting junk emails but it also blocks emails from other people.

I wonder if that is what happend?

I like the idea of using cocoa butter....I'll try that.

southaustingirl Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:59pm
post #17 of 24

holy cow! Cocoa butter is exspensive! Or maybe I am just cheap icon_biggrin.gif

I found 4 oz jar from $5.50 - $11.25. I wish I knew how much it takes to paint a cake.

mamacc Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 24

I just e mailed her too just in case. icon_smile.gif I bet they are getting millions of e mails after the airing of Sugar Rush though!

I don't have Cakewalk yet....I'm thinking I might need to buy it!

southaustingirl Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:11pm
post #19 of 24

Good...mabye you'll get a response!!

I also found pre-tinted cocoa butter.....$18.75 ( I think ) for a bottle but I can't remember size of bottle.

mamacc Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 24

I've also heard that you can buy cocoa butter at the pharmacy. They sell it in the skin care aisle and it needs to be labeled 100% pure cocoa butter.

-C

Crazy_Cake_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy_Cake_Lady Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:29am
post #21 of 24

I looked in Margaret Braun's book Cakewalk and she has a page on painting fondant cakes with food coloring. Obviously I can't put copyrighted information here but on page 87 of the book she has a bunch of thoughts on working with food coloring.

Specifically, she says that liquid food color is good for painting but that she recommmends gel, paste and powders only for coloring icings. She also says to leave airbrush coloring for t-shirts and vans!

She didn't mention any specific brands but one photo shows a bottle with the brand name Queen Natural Cochineal Colouring. A quick search shows this available in Australia.

She also mentions a few vendors in the appendix, mostly the usual suspects like Beryl's Cake Decorating Equipment and Pfeil and Holing.

I'm going to make one of her cakes next month for a friend's wedding. I plan to do a practice run later this month so if you're interested I'll keep you posted on what supplies I get.

HTH.

Crazy Cake Lady

southaustingirl Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:54am
post #22 of 24

Thanks for the info...........I really do need to buy her book!

Please let us know about your practice cake...love to see it and learn a few more tips, too.

mamacc Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:35am
post #23 of 24

I caved and ordered it,....along with Cakes to Dream On b/c I can only take it out of the library so many times!!

-C

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:30am
post #24 of 24

Squires (UK) sell a range of food paints called 'Folk Art' and they are specifically for painting on cakes - they are an opaque colour, a lot like acrylic paints. They wouldn't be good for covering huge flat areas - but great for painting with.
http://www.squires-shop.com/cgi-bin/TLSstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=C06901

I personally paint on cakes a lot. I mix paste colour with lustre dust and alchohol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%