Question About Ganache...

Decorating By Sunshine93 Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 12:50am by bransmom

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 11

Last night I attempted ganache for the first time. Being the newbie I am..I'm not sure if I did it right..lol I used heavy cream and chocolate squares. The recipe said to boil the cream..then add chocolate and let it melt..then put it in the fridge until it firms. Ok...I did that..but the ganache separated. It seems "oily" on top. Any ideas what I did wrong? I made it for the chocolate buttercream recipe. The icing still turned out well..tasted great icon_smile.gif But, I was wondering what I can do next time to prevent that...anyone know? Thanks! Oh..and here's the cake...it was my first attempt at ganache, chocolate buttercream, and the cake extender! By the time I was done I was too tired to even smooth the icing..lol

Thanks for your help!!

10 replies
okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 11

WOW, Love your chocolate cake, it looks delicious!

Okay, about the ganache, I don't boil the cream, I heat it unitl it is steaming good but not boiling, pour it over the chocolate pieces, after a few minutes I stir until smooth and I let it set on the cabinet, stirring frequently to keep it smooth.

I use 1 2/3 cups heavy cream with 12 ounces of chocolate.

hope this helps, thanks for sharing your cake with us.

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 11

Sunshine93 is right. Add the scalding cream to the chocolate, let sit and stir. Also, as the genache gets cool enough you can whip it and it makes a great icing.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 11

What kind of chocolate did you use? You should use real chocolate, not the candy melts for ganache. I don't know if that helps or not.

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 11

Yes, use real chocolate!

Sunshine93 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 11

The recipe I have called for 1.5 cups heavy cream and 1 lb of chocolate. I used Nestle's Chocolatier in bittersweet. Is that the wrong kind of chocolate?? It said to use semisweet or bittersweet. Thanks!

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 11

That chocolate should have been fine.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 11

I also don't boil the cream ... I heat it just this side of the boiling point, add the Ghiradelli chocolate and blend with a whisk. I don't refrigerate it .... I whisk it until it's the right consistency (about 1 minute or so) and then pour it over my BC iced cake. Couple of pics in my photos if you want to see them.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 11

I heat 2 cups heavy cream just to boiling and then pour over 1.5 lbs of cut up chocolate (which is in my KA bowl). I then stir to get it to start melting, then put it on my KA and set the paddle to 1 or 2 just to keep the ganache moving while it cools. Then I let it sit on the counter until it is the consistency that I need. I refrigerate the leftover and just heat some up in the micro to use it again.

~Chelle

Sunshine93 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone! Very helpful tips icon_smile.gif

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:50am
post #11 of 11

I use the ganache recipe from Paula Dean on food network. It is awesome. I saw it on one of her shows where she made chocolate bundles. It was around Valentine's Day. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%