How Do I Make Ribbon Roses & Leaves...

Decorating By stlalohagal Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm by mcalhoun

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:25am
post #1 of 16

Mainly it's the leaves that I'm interested in. I can't seem to fold them right. Does anyone have step by step photos?

Also, do most people use a straight edge piece of fondant, or has it been folded over to give it the puffed look? That's on both the roses and the leaves.

Thanks!

- Paula

15 replies
Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:00am
post #2 of 16

the way I make rose leaves is with a jagged cutter and then lay on some "sound proof" foam - u know the dimpled stuff? oh and vein it too

stlalohagal Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:03am
post #3 of 16

Thanks for the time to reply. I do appreciate it. However I'm looking more for the same effect like the ribbon rose. There's a matching leaf that goes with it. I made some but I just don't think I've got the fold and pined look it should have.

You do the same as you would to start the rose by rolling out the fondant and folding it over and then I just crossed one side then the other making a poufy point and pinched it at the bottom.

Someone referred to these as Mary Englebright (?spelling) roses and leaves.

I can post a pic if it would help. Anyone???

Thanks!

- Paula

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:32am
post #4 of 16

I don't think I could be of help, but I'm curious to see the ribbon leaf. I can do the rose, but didn't know there was a leaf to go with it! I was just using the regular jagged leaf cutter that came in the Wilton kit.

stlalohagal Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:22am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbunz

I don't think I could be of help, but I'm curious to see the ribbon leaf. I can do the rose, but didn't know there was a leaf to go with it! I was just using the regular jagged leaf cutter that came in the Wilton kit.

Here's a photo of my leaves. Sorry the close up got a little blurred, but you can still see the larger one.

- Paula
LL

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #6 of 16

ooooooooooo, I like that! I never made the leaves like that. Will do next time. They match the roses better.

The fist time I made the ribbon roses I did not fold the fondant over in half to give the rounded edges but just rolled the edges down. I know fold the fondant in half - I think it looks better.

Thanks for posting the pic of the leaves!

bj

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #7 of 16

ooooooooooo, I like that! I never made the leaves like that. Will do next time. They match the roses better.

The fist time I made the ribbon roses I did not fold the fondant over in half to give the rounded edges but just rolled the edges down. I now fold the fondant in half - I think it looks better.

Thanks for posting the pic of the leaves!

bj

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #8 of 16

WEll I really like those leaves! Good idea to roll the fondant too. I haven't done that, I also just kind of rolled the edge down. I really love these roses. I'm all for realistic stuff, but these are just so fun!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:38am
post #9 of 16

Paula ... very nice rose and leaves!!! I love the look of ribbon roses and leaves, and you did a fantastic job!!! thumbs_up.gif

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:43am
post #10 of 16

I'm new here and new to fondant anything--I just love the way your roses look! Can you tell me how to do that technique?

stlalohagal Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie_from_MD

I'm new here and new to fondant anything--I just love the way your roses look! Can you tell me how to do that technique?

Just roll your fondant thin... I think I go a around that 1/16" there about... I don't actually measure it. Then fold it over and smooth a bit, but leaving the pouf, rounded part at the fold... you don't want to smooth that out. Then starting at one end fold down that end diagonally across the rest of your strip, this makes your 'bud' or center. Then I just sort of pinch pleat around as I wrap. It may take a time or two playing with it to get the right look. I know I had to play till I was happy. I still make them and smush one and start over if it doesn't look right. But they're so easy and so quick and fun it doesn't mater.

As for the leaves I was just folding diagonally across left then right like you start the rose middle, and pinching them at the bottom. I posted my question because I thought there was another fold that I was missing at the end.

Thanks all for the comments. I'm glad you like them. Sometimes you just need that extra vote to be sure it's OK. I love CC for that kind of feedback!!!

- Paula

PS - let me know if those instructions aren't understandable. I'm a see it kind of person before I sometimes understand... or do it in this case. I'll gladly try again!!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 16

Paula, I really like the way you've done your leaves icon_biggrin.gif
I have only made them the one time ( like colette peters' ones ) : cut a triangle same thickness as rose,roll over 2 of the sides,pinch together the 2 points on the side that wasn't rolled over. Does that make any sense ?

I wish I could draw on here !! icon_lol.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 16

Here's a visual for the leaves that Paula was describing (the leaves are after the rose)- start with thinly rolled paste cut into a strip and folded the long way without "creasing" the fold. The rose is similar, but the Offray site does not show the first fold to make the rose bud.
http://www.offray.com/106.html

This DIY site shows that first fold
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/rb_embellishments/article/0,2025,DIY_14218_2268357,00.html

Then carefully remove the excess at the bottom where you pinch it all together.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlalohagal

Here's a photo of my leaves. Sorry the close up got a little blurred, but you can still see the larger one.

- Paula

Thanks for the pictures and the instructions.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you for your instructions and picture! I've wanted to know how to do those roses also. Your's are really cute! Thanks again.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 16

That leaf looks so cute with the rose. Hmmmm....

Dear Boss,
I need to leave work to go home and play w/ my fondant.

So do you think it will work icon_smile.gif
Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%