Share Your Creativity

Decorating By ckkerber Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm by albumangel

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:19am
post #1 of 10

I've seen a lot of neat cake ideas implemented lately (like that fountain cake - WOW!). . . things I never would have thought of on my own and I got to thinking that there are a lot of posts that I never see that could have equally creative ideas that I'm missing. While it SEEMS like I'm on here 24/7, in reality I do have to eat and sleep so I do miss some things.

I would love for everyone to post the coolest or most creative thing they've done with a cake so I can be sure I'm not missing out! It doesn't have to be something as complex as engineering a working fountain (did I say WOW! yet?) but even something as simple as using a technique in a different way or coming up with an easier way to do things. Just anything that is a bit "different". Any takers?

9 replies
scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:22am
post #2 of 10

Great idea! As a newbie, I love seeing the brilliant work of the members here!

Lisa

hazelina82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelina82 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:24am
post #3 of 10

When I was taking Course 3 my instructor taught me to stick a toothpick thru a small jellybean as the center of a fondant rose. The jellybean is then covered with fondant.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:59am
post #4 of 10

Great idea, Hazelina! I hadn't heard of that.

Here's a cake I did that I was very happy with the outcome - I wanted to make a wreath cake for a friend who had just moved and I couldn't believe that 1.) my idea worked and 2.) it was so easy! I just melted some chocolate and piped random "twigs" all over (not in a wreath pattern, just piped them one after another). I made them nice and thick and the varying levels of thickness gave them a good "branch-y" look. I also piped them a bit curved so they'd fit well into a wreath. When the chocolate set I just peeled them off and started "building" the wreath on my cake by laying them all around. Then I piped buttercream berries onto it and voila! A twig wreath cake. There's so much you could do with it by adding flowers, etc . . .
LL

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:19am
post #5 of 10

Since I make a very different cake almost every week as I'm learning, I like to keep some fondant on hand, but since I don't know what might come up, I like to keep white (MMF or Satin Ice) on hand and then color it.

However, it's a lot of work to color fondant. So, I got a tip to paint on the color, and it actually works well and went faster, too! And you get a shiny effect that makes the finished effect look super-smooth.

I used gel color and mixed in some vegetable oil. Then, I used a sponge brush to paint away! It was much easier on my wrists and arms, too.

Here's the cake I painted!
LL

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 5:55am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by albumangel

Since I make a very different cake almost every week as I'm learning, I like to keep some fondant on hand, but since I don't know what might come up, I like to keep white (MMF or Satin Ice) on hand and then color it.

However, it's a lot of work to color fondant. So, I got a tip to paint on the color, and it actually works well and went faster, too! And you get a shiny effect that makes the finished effect look super-smooth.

I used gel color and mixed in some vegetable oil. Then, I used a sponge brush to paint away! It was much easier on my wrists and arms, too.

Here's the cake I painted!

That steelers cake looks great! Good idea to paint, especially with darker colors. I'll have to remember that.

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:15am
post #7 of 10

the cake is beautifully black thumbs_up.gif

this may be a dumb question icon_redface.gif
when you paint the black on the cake
does it stain the lips and teeth when you eat it
I know that must sound like a sloppy eater
but if I get a tiny bit of color on my finger it is hard to get off

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:16am
post #8 of 10

My guitar cake is by far my favorite. It's not original or one-of-a-kind or anything like that but I put every ounce of skill & dedication I had into it. 3 days lots of thought, research, crying. lol I love it
LL

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:28am
post #9 of 10

WOW! That guitar is wonderful - it looks like you could just pick it up and play it! Just in awe!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 10

Wow! Incredible guitar! And I love the wreath cake- that sounds like fun, and easy to do with kids, too.

I didn't notice anyone's lips or teeth turning black at the party. But we were drinking a lot of alcohol, and maybe that worked like a solvent! icon_wink.gif

I know what you mean- black is really tough on my hands, especially when they are already so dry from being covered in icing and washing dishes all the time- my skin soaks the color right in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%