The Bride Wants Dulce De Leche Cake???

Decorating By tastycakes Updated 5 Mar 2006 , 4:04am by tastycakes

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 10:15pm
post #31 of 41

ok all i want to say is

dulce de leche = candy milk = filling (good for cake)

Tres Leches cake= three milk cake = wet cake (not good for stacking)

i tried, hope this help..
shaddi

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 10:19pm
post #32 of 41

this s a site here on cc how to make Homemade-Dulce-de-leche

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1994-Homemade-Dulce-de-leche.html

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 8:39am
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycakes

Geez, who'd of thought this little rant of mine would've gotten so much attention! I haven't even had a one-on-one with this bride yet, but now I feel armed with the knowledge of many!

Yes, the bride is Brazilian. Thanks for the directions Boonenati! She has her design chosen, I just want to make sure it'll be sturdy enough...butter cake should do it? I'll be making a practice this weekend.

tastycakes
Yes buttercake should do it
my recipe is for an 8inch pan (i use 3 inch high pans)
150gms softened butter (not margarine or it will be too soft)
300gms caster sugar (it's just a bit finer than granulated sugar)
3 large eggs
1 cup of milk (250mls)
1 tsp vanilla
360gms self raising flour

Preheat oven to 180(degrees centigrade)
Cream butter and sugar, until light and creamy, add vanilla,
then keep beating adding one egg at a time.
Add sifted flour alternating with milk. Pour into pan and for 45 minutes or until done.

Cheers
Nati

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 2:47am
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycakes

Hahahahahahahahahah! Almost peed myself! I love you guys!

tastycakes
im confused, does this lady want "Tres Leches Cake" or "Dulce de Leche Cake"??
I have no idea what "tres Leches" is except what i've read on cake central, but i make Dulce De Leche cake all the time, and it's excellent for stacking, and you can cover it in buttercream or fondant. You basically make a firm buttercake, and you can put a coconut syrup if you like, not soak, just spray it or paint it on each layer, then you put the "Dulce de Leche" and fresh whipped vanilla cream. It is a favourite in my country. Where is this lady from??
It's a really delicious cake.
I have a attached a picture of a cake i made with Dulce de Leche. Also here are some links that may help.
http://www.farawayfoods.com/dulcedeleche.html
You should be able to buy it in any store that sells Latin items.
Nati

Can you explain this in a little more detail as far the recipe you use for dulce de leche, unless you buy it in the jar, and the cocount syrup? What sturdy butter cake do you make?

Sounds really interesting!

boonenati Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 2:52am
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

Can you explain this in a little more detail as far the recipe you use for dulce de leche, unless you buy it in the jar, and the cocount syrup? What sturdy butter cake do you make?

Sounds really interesting!

Maria
Im in Australia, i've never made dulce de leche from scratch, my dad used to but it takes too long. I used to do it with the condensed milk but then i found that Nestle sells it ready made, it's not called "dulce de leche", just "Nestle Top and Fill". It tastes exactly the same as the one made with the condensed milk. If you look just above your last post, i have my buttercake recipe there, it's an old recipe from a Uruguayan cookbook.(at least 40+ years old)
Saludos
Nati

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 2:55am
post #36 of 41

Thank you for sharing, Nati!

boonenati Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 2:58am
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

Thank you for sharing, Nati!

Maria
This post also had my recipe for coconut syrup as well as a few recipes for dulce de leche casero.
Enjoy
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15621&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dulce&&start=15

Nati

cakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4fun Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 3:09am
post #38 of 41

This has got to be the FUNNIEST forum EVER!!!!!! Tastycakes, you have got to post some pics of this wedding in May...we're all gonna be looking forward to this!!!! hahahahahah!! icon_lol.gif

As for the dulce de leche....never heard of it being an actual cake but rather a filling....we use it alot in Argentina just like briancakes mentioned. I've done it many times and its a hit! I usually use the dulce de leche I have from Argentina ( which are soooo good) but when I've run out I've used the condensed milk version and its worked out real well.

The key is when you moisten the cake you use Port wine ( you can get it at any liquor store) its a dessert wine. Cut the cake in half and just put your fingers over the spout (so it doesnt pour all over the place) and drizzle over the cake until everything is nice and soaked. Its a delicious smell and gives a great kick to the cake!!
Let us know how it goes!! thumbs_up.gif

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 3:12am
post #39 of 41

Guys,
I'm Brazilian and I've never heard of Dulce de Leche CAKE, because all the dulce de leche we have in Brazil are creamy (kinda like Peanut butter), unless they mix it in the batter in some way.

The best thing will be to go to the grocery store and buy a can (at least here in Maryland I've seen at the regular, American supermarkets.). Now, I can assure you that what she expects does not taste like the caramel you put on top of ice-cream (I bought some ice-cream caramel syrup and it's completely different).
Here's a suggestion: If your supermarket has an Internation Food area (usually, all the GOYA products are there), you can look for a Nestle can that looks just like a can of sweet condensed milk (La Lechera), but that actually is Dulce de Leche (it will say on the label). If not, all the latin markets sell it.

Now, c'mon, in the parking lot?!? I'd really wait and save some good money for my wedding, I would never do it on a parking lot....It's a once in a lifetime event (for a lot of people, anyway). Do you know what town she's from? I'd like to see pictures too... LOL. I love my country, but some people can really be cheap! I've tried selling my cakes to the Brazilian community here in MD, but they don't want to pay for my labor. I charged a simple 9" cake $26 and she thought it was too much. I was about to tell her to go get one in the supermarket then!!! Jeez!!!

Anyway, good luck with it!!

boonenati Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 4:00am
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia79

Guys,
I'm Brazilian and I've never heard of Dulce de Leche CAKE, because all the dulce de leche we have in Brazil are creamy (kinda like Peanut butter), unless they mix it in the batter in some way.

The best thing will be to go to the grocery store and buy a can (at least here in Maryland I've seen at the regular, American supermarkets.). Now, I can assure you that what she expects does not taste like the caramel you put on top of ice-cream (I bought some ice-cream caramel syrup and it's completely different).
Here's a suggestion: If your supermarket has an Internation Food area (usually, all the GOYA products are there), you can look for a Nestle can that looks just like a can of sweet condensed milk (La Lechera), but that actually is Dulce de Leche (it will say on the label). If not, all the latin markets sell it.

Now, c'mon, in the parking lot?!? I'd really wait and save some good money for my wedding, I would never do it on a parking lot....It's a once in a lifetime event (for a lot of people, anyway). Do you know what town she's from? I'd like to see pictures too... LOL. I love my country, but some people can really be cheap! I've tried selling my cakes to the Brazilian community here in MD, but they don't want to pay for my labor. I charged a simple 9" cake $26 and she thought it was too much. I was about to tell her to go get one in the supermarket then!!! Jeez!!!

Anyway, good luck with it!!

Marcia
In Uruguay we have the same type of Dulce De leche, and it's one of the main fillings we use in cakes. If you beat it with a fork or a flat knife for a bit, it gets a good consistancy that you can spread it in between layers of cake.
YUMMY
Nati

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 4:04am
post #41 of 41

Ok, everyone remember this thread that went on for days? Well, I'll give you an update, the bride and groom finally came for a tasting today - with grooms mother in tow, and my sister is in the wedding (she's a friend of the groom, they used to work together) so she felt the need to participate as well, so then my 6 year old daughter (- who normally is very good when I'm doing business and knows she'll get cake afterwards) hops up and takes a seat at the table! It was the most informal, fun cake tasting ever....grooms are always fun at these things because it's one thing they are really interested in. Anyway, luckily I made single layer 6 in. cakes (5 basic flavors - white, yellow, lemon, german chocolate, and devils.) Also offered fillings:pineapple, strawberry, raspberry, coconut pecan, chocolate buttercream, and of course - DULCE DE LECHE!!! After all the searching and all of your help, I asked the bride if she had a recipe that she liked and she likes the one boiled in the can!!!! YEE-HAW, does that ever make my life easy? You bet! So I tried it out last week and it's not bad, I wouldn't spit it out, but it wouldn't be my pick! Anyway, for today I did 2 cans - one at 2 hours of boiling and another at 3 so she could tell me how she liked it. She liked the 2 hour!

Ok, so a wedding update, NO Longer in the parking lot! Now they are going to get married in the grooms Greek orthodox church (Where he's been twice in his life: once for his baptism and then for his sister's wedding). ! ?....

The cake is still going to have the plastic salmon ribbon, but now instead of only the plastic calla lily's there are going to be 2 figurines that are on their way from Brazil right now! Only they aren't sure if they'll be too big for the cake or not, maybe some of the Brazilins who helped me out will have an idea what they are? They are supposed to be of pottery or clay and they said to decide for myself if they'll be safe on the cake, or just put them on the table.

So after all of this, I gave the bride a bargain basement price (I know, there's a limit to who should get friends and family pricing, but I'm a softy and I like for brides to have what they want). I charged her $350, set up, delivery, everything included - for 200 people. That's $1.75 per person. I hope they checked around for prices to know what a good deal they are getting!!! (If not, I can send them some lists from other local bakers!)

Thanks for all of your help everyone! I'll keep you all posted as to further developments in this saga...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%