Website For An Unlicensed Baker

Business By didi5 Updated 14 Feb 2006 , 4:57am by didi5

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 13

I have a question... I just need to get more information. If I am an unlicensed baker I'm not allowed to advertise anywhere else but am I allowed to have my own website that has my company name? Being inspired by all the websites I see here, I want to start my own too but am afraid that someone will come after me if they saw it on the web. If I get somebody's business from the web, would that be selling to the public then I would need to be licensed? Need your guidance here please...

12 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 13

I guess it depends on how you present your website. If you approach it as a photo album to say "here's what I've done," then I don't see a problem. You can still use to show people what you can do and then talk to them about their choices.

If you approach it as a sales site, including prices and requests for orders, you might have a problem. My inspector told me that ANY advertising is unacceptable.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 12:06am
post #3 of 13

I don't have a business but do have my cakes on a website, though I have been lazy about updating it. I don't think they can stop you from having a website with your cakes on it.

Now I would not include prices, flavors, or any mention of selling your cakes, as that would be advertising.

I would include your email address and if you feel comforatable with it, the area you live in. If someone decides to email you about your cakes then you can decide then what you want to do.

BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 3:54am
post #4 of 13

Didi5 - I, too, am an un-licensed decorator. I do not advertise, other than family and friends passing along my name. I have an on-line album that I use to "showcase" my cakes. However, since I am not licensed, I charge basically just to cover the cost of supplies. I am using this time as my "training" and building up a client base for when I do get my license!

Tina

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 13

I have ideas for you!!! Please take a look at my two sites. There are two important things that keep me safe from attracting the wrong attention. The first is that I clearly state that this is my hobby and may one day be a profession and the other is that there are no prices listed... just photos.
I'm in the same boat as you and for the longest time thought I couldn't have a site, then had this brain child that having a site or blog showing off a hobby was entirely different than advertising. So, that's how I've gotten around the fear of having someone accuse me of running a business without a license. I'd also leave off your address or phone number from the website... just to play it safe!
The other thing is that I have a business card that says my name, then underneath says "Professional Mommy" to my kids names, along with my phone, email, address, and web addresses. I give these to people I meet at church or at social events, sometimes never even mentioning my cakes. They think the cards are cute and sometimes they'll pull up my site and learn that I do cakes!
I mainly make cakes for friends and family anyway and probably only make a dozen a year. For me it really is mostly a hobby. I expect to be paid, but I think for the time and money it takes requesting a fee is only fair. : )

wendysue Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 13

didi5, wanted to add that your cakes are beautiful! They look very sharp. icon_smile.gif

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 13

Great topic and I've gotten so much out of it already....

I've made a website that is extremelly simple (did it in one night) and I didn't plan to advertise anything, just show "what I've done or can do".

Would you guys be willing to look at it and let me know if there's anything else I can do to make it better and to use it as a "client caller" as well???? I have only a couple of pictures posted, but wil add more as I make more cakes (have a baby shower one due Mar 12th - VERY EXCITED!!!).

Also, what would be another idea for a business card (I'm not a Mom yet, so I can't put anything like that as Wndysue did - unless caring for a husband that a has a huge "child side" counts)??

I've tried advertising it to family, but because they are family, I don't charge them, so I haven't done that many cakes but will let family memebers' friends know I bake... Oh! And I've told the brazilian community about it (I'm brazilian), but people don't want to pay for my labor, so they think my cakes are too expensive - and I charge less than my competitors, so it's not worth to sell to them for less...

Anyway, can you help me too!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

wendysue Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 13

Your site is off to a good start! Once you have loaded more cakes it will look great. I'd try and put a couple cakes on the home page too. If you'd like check out my site below. The freewebs site in particular... as it's similar to yours. I have a link in the sidebar with a long list of my favorite cake galleries to help people shop for ideas. You might want to consider something like this too. : )
I've changed my site several ways since I first set it up. One good thing is to get ideas from other cakes sites and then take a couple days off from looking at your own... then go back and sometimes something will jump out at you as needing changed. I've changed my blog more times than I can count!! I think it gets better with age!

You could put Professional Friend, Wife, Talker if you talk a lot... make it funny or silly to get peoples attention. Then just slap down you contact info and subtly add your website at the bottom of the card. : )

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you, wendysue!

So, you don't think that by putting the flavors and everything there I'm advertising???

I like your sites and will make mine better with time...hopefully! Suggestions for improving it are always welcome!!! icon_wink.gif

wendysue Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia79

Thank you, wendysue!

So, you don't think that by putting the flavors and everything there I'm advertising???

I like your sites and will make mine better with time...hopefully! Suggestions for improving it are always welcome!!! icon_wink.gif

If I were going to leave off something it would probably be that. Kind of makes it look like you are offering something, which would be like selling something.
On my blog I sometimes put a description of each cake with the photo that shows what it's made of. This might be a better way rather than having a page devoted just to telling about flavors and such. : )

I also have come to the conclusion, at least on my own sites, that it looks more professional to chose a couple colors and stick with them. I use to have a rainbow of font colors, now try to limit it to black and pink. I think it looks pretty good that way. : )

didi5 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 2:50am
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone for your response and nice comments. So, I've been playing around with making my website and I've taken into acount what everybody said. Well, it's very obvious if you'll look at my site that I'm a complete dummy when it comes to it! Still have lots to learn...oh well.

Wendysue you have a great websites! Now I'm just wondering how did you get all those advertising !?

wendysue Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:38am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi5

Wendysue you have a great websites! Now I'm just wondering how did you get all those advertising !?

Thanks for the compliments. I sent you a PM about the advertising. : ) It's real easy!

didi5 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 4:57am
post #13 of 13

Thanks Wendysue! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%