Penny's Vs Nfsc

Baking By emmettsmom Updated 2 May 2009 , 12:18pm by Naty

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:49pm
post #31 of 59

I may have to try this recipe tonite, just for comparison of course!

deb

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 2:06am
post #32 of 59

does anyone know what the whipping cream does in Penny's recipe? I was just comparing the 2 recipes and they are very similar. The whipping cream and amount of extract seems to be the main difference.

I'm just wondering if the whipping cream can be omitted or if it is what 'makes' the recipe. I might try it tonight and I have every ingredient except for the whipping cream. icon_cry.gif

Also, I wonder why Penny's recipe doesn't have to be chilled when the additional ingredient is the whipping cream. Basically, I'm wondering if I can still get away with not chilling it without the whipping cream. icon_confused.gif

Sorry if I sound confused. icon_redface.gif I've only made the NFSC once. I'm usually just playing around with cakes but I've been wanting to attempt the cookies one more time.

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:25am
post #33 of 59

You can use milk as a replacement for the cream. Penny suggests using whole milk but I've used 2% with no problems. thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 10:40am
post #34 of 59

I was just looking at that recipe - 2 tablespoons of vanilla? Penny, is that right? Seems like alot to me (and a case for using the imitation stuff). Is that supposed to be teaspoons instead? I was thinking of trying it with butter flavoring replacing the almond - there is one guy at work who is nut allergic and can't even eat stuff with the flavoring of almonds/nuts. Can anyone check on that vanilla amount and let me know?

deb

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:12pm
post #35 of 59

Deb- there is another thread about this... and it is supposed to be that much vanilla, according to that.

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:40pm
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayesmama

You can use milk as a replacement for the cream. Penny suggests using whole milk but I've used 2% with no problems. thumbs_up.gif

thank you tayesmama! i might give it a try icon_smile.gif

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 7:19pm
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

I was thinking of trying it with butter flavoring replacing the almond - there is one guy at work who is nut allergic and can't even eat stuff with the flavoring of almonds/nuts.

You can definitely sub the almond flavoring. I've done it many times with great results!

MomLittr Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 10:56pm
post #38 of 59

WOW, that is alot of vanilla......I may only use 1 tablespoon (that might be all I have right now). Also realized have no cream, so substituting plain coffee creamer (only have fat free milk). So basically I am trying a new cookie recipe and messing with it before forming an opinion on it..... icon_redface.gif

deb

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:07pm
post #39 of 59

I just made a batch of Penny's and boy, it does taste good! It doesn't spread at all. Yes, I used 2 TABLESpoon of vanilla and of course, the dough is pretty wet, but not that bad. I think the reason for 2 tablespoon is because you can add a little bit of flour when rolling dough so it won't taste too floury. The cookie tastes good, too.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:42pm
post #40 of 59

i was wondering the same thing about both recipes. i think i'm gonna try penney's soon.

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:53pm
post #41 of 59

Hey everyone,
Well I read this thread and had to try Penny's, so I did.

I just got done, and boy am I pleased. I made it just as it says, except for the vanilla. I did 1 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla (reg) and 1/2 Tablespoon of the creme bouquet. Everything else is the same. I tasted some of the dough as I always do......and WOW, I was soooo pleased.

The dough is thick (I think the whipping cream helps-I also think it make the dough rich), but it's not sticky at all, which surprised me. And the taste is heaven. I always get a bland after taste from the NF. I gave my mouth a sec to enjoy the taste and it NEVER went away. I'm sold. I haven't rolled or baked yet. The dough is getting chilled, even thought it doesn't have to.

Thanks Penny for sharing your recipe, it's delish!

surfergina Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:47pm
post #42 of 59

Exactly - the dough was thick. The only part I didn't follow the recipe is the one you mix by hand when combing the flour and butter mix. It was too hard for me to stir by hand, so I decided to use my Kitchen Aid mixer in a very slow speed. Once the dough is throughly mixed, I stop the machine immediately.

Since I use the parchment paper in between, the dough sticked to it. So I took it off and sprinkle flour on the dough (just a little bit) and it works just fine - not sticky anymore.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:53pm
post #43 of 59

If you use RBC on your NFSC...try putting orange extract in both........MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
In the NFSC I kept the vanilla in and added 1 t. orange...also 1 t. in the RBC but in place of vanilla

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:35am
post #44 of 59

manatee - what is this creme bouquet you are talking about? flavoring?
which brand? if im not mistaken i think i read in another post that it can be found in sugarcraft site?!

TY

and yes orange on both icing and cookie are soooooooo good! if added to cookie, add some orange zest for the extra quick. really good.

edited to say:

Is this it?? gosh i hope so! cause this store is near my home, i won't have to wait for delivery. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/images/CK42-452cremebouquet.jpg

surfergina Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #45 of 59

You know, I personally think that NFSC is easy to use with the cookie cutter. With Penny's, it's so sticky that I had to put a little more flour on it. It's because Penny's recipe doesn't require to put the dough in the fridge. NFSC requires fridge and it's no wonder they're so easy to cut the dough out.

Like I said earlier, the taste is better in Penny's, but you can always adjust it with NFSC, like I put extra vanilla extract or flavored coffee creamer.

crolfes83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crolfes83 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:25pm
post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergina

You know, I personally think that NFSC is easy to use with the cookie cutter. With Penny's, it's so sticky that I had to put a little more flour on it. It's because Penny's recipe doesn't require to put the dough in the fridge. NFSC requires fridge and it's no wonder they're so easy to cut the dough out.

Like I said earlier, the taste is better in Penny's, but you can always adjust it with NFSC, like I put extra vanilla extract or flavored coffee creamer.

I have to agree. I tried Penny's recipe this past weekend- trying to get a jump start on my Easter cookies. I could not cut the dough. I couldn't tell a difference in taste either. I tried refrigerating Penny's dough and still had real difficulty cutting out my cookies. Needless to say, I did not get my Easter cookies done.

I much prefer NFSC recipe to work with. I'm going to try the 1/2 butter, 1/2 vanilla extract with cinnamon. That sounds GREAT!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm
post #47 of 59

This is a very informative post...thanks for sharing all your ideas and tricks.

crolfes83 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:22pm
post #48 of 59

Ok, today I modified Penny's or NFSC recipe(take your pick icon_biggrin.gif )

I added one tsp of vanilla, one tsp of almond, 1 TBSP of cream, and reduced the baking powder to 1tsp. I followed the recipe with same amount of flour, butter and sugar.

The dough was a dream to work with! I didn't have to refrigerate it one minute and my cutters did not stick!

I'm thrilled icon_biggrin.gif

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #49 of 59

crolfes83
thanks for the post..i will give it a try..I dont know what i am doing but it seems like everytime I make these this week it has been to soft,sticky,and spreads.

crolfes83 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:31am
post #50 of 59

I thought I should clarify the amounts I used!
I mentioned I modified Penny's or NFSC recipe. I always mix NFSC recipe in half.

This is how I modified and it worked so much better. The dough was more pliable than NFSC and not as sticky as Penny's.

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1TBSP cream
2 sticks of real salted butter
1 egg

I added some photos of my cookies using MMF. You will see the dough didn't spread too bad with the reduced baking powder. I worked on cookied all morning and after a hour, I did have to refrigerate the dough because it was warm and my cookies were beginning to spread.

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:28am
post #51 of 59

[quote="crolfes83"] I always mix NFSC recipe in half.

About how many cookies did you get out of the recipe?

crolfes83 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:05pm
post #52 of 59

[quote="AngiesIdea"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by crolfes83

I always mix NFSC recipe in half.

About how many cookies did you get out of the recipe?

Goodness,
I honestly didn't count. I made 3 batches yesterday. My cookie cutters are different sizes. Hmmmm, after eating all the mistake cookies icon_biggrin.gif I'm guesstimating..... 18, 5"-6" cookies.

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #53 of 59

giving away a secret....

here is another suggestion for NFSC or Penny's, (or any recipe that calls for cream and you don't have any on hand.) I always use and have coffee creamer in stock. I don't use enough real cream to justify keeping it around so I create my own as I need it. The coffee creamers work wonderfully and tastes even better when you use the flavored creamer. I also use the creamers when I mix up my cookie icings. Love the Hazel Nut and French Vanilla the most. There are so many new flavors now that I want to try them all just haven't had the time.

With the recipes, I mixed approximately 5 to 2 (5 tablespoons of creamer to the two table spoons of water) I poured the entire amount into the mix. I left out the almond extract (don't care for the taste) and the cookies tasted wonderful. Sometimes I will add creamer to the mix dry if my dough seems to be too wet. I wanted to add flavor to the mix and not use flour that would dull the tastes. I had no trouble rolling the dough out or cutting it.

Family loves the taste even better since I changed it.

just passing it along. thumbs_up.gif

Shyla

If someone posted the suggestion of coffee creamer before sorry for the reposting of the suggestion. This thread is long and I was to lazy to read them all. icon_lol.gif

surfergina Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #54 of 59

I just happened to go on a grocery shopping at Walmart today and noticed that there is a new coffee creamer flavor: White Chocolate! I purchased it and I want to try adding these in my cookie dough. I wonder if it's too sweet? Won't hurt me to try it. icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:41am
post #55 of 59

I hate working with nfsc as I find the dough way too crumbly this is what I use and it is a dream to work with and I roll it out right after making it in between wax paper using a tiny bit of flour then cut my shapes and leave them on the wax paper slide the papers onto a cookie sheet on top each other in layers and freeze them while I pre heat the oven then take another cookie sheet and bake them like an assembly line works great. And they dont spread i used this dough to make my green beer mugs and my easter cookies

1/2 c butter
1/2 c crisco
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond or lemon (whatever is yr preference)
3 c flour
1 1/4 tsp bkg powder

this is a small batch and it is so fast since you dont have to refrigerate and you can have them all cooling in the freezer

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:03am
post #56 of 59

I made the NFSC last fall for a bday....my kids wouldn't touch them -- didn't like the taste at all! I've made 2 batches of Penny's this week alone and my 16yr old son LOVES them as does 5 yr old dd!!! I'm sticking w/ Pennys!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 12 May 2007 , 2:16pm
post #57 of 59

Okay I just came across this post - I haven't made either - I'd like to do a taste test, so I guess I'm going to try to halve the recipe or make even less than half...

anyway, do Penny's cookies taste more like butter cookies than sugar cookies? I was asked to make sugar cookies and I'd hate to change to a butter flavor when they are expecting sugar.... but I'd like a cookie dough that's easy to work with and tastes good! So are they both essentially sugar cookies or not?

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:30pm
post #58 of 59

thanks all!

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:18pm
post #59 of 59

Just wondering if anyone had a chocolate or lemon version of Penny's cookies.

Thanks,
Naty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%