Just Agree - I Am Dumb

Decorating By MillyCakes Updated 11 Mar 2007 , 10:56pm by NewbeeBaker

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 8

Okay - I was reading an article this weekend about fondant. The article said to place the fondant on the cake after it had been iced and then cooled in the fridge. I had always put my fondant on after I put a thin layer of icing on - so the fondant would stick.

So I iced my cake (upside-down method at all times) let it cool and crust, put on fondant AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT - Perfect Fondant! I have been trying to work with fondant for a year and it never occured to me to have that "crusted" outside shell of icing to give me a firm surface to work with!

Now I am worried about the cake warming up and messing with the fondant. Sometimes as much as I love this and enjoy learning more and more - I just feel DUMB!

7 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 8

icon_lol.gif OK I'll SAY I agree if you want me to...BUT I don't think so at all! icon_wink.gif

MillyCakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you!!! I just did another tier and guess what - ----- perfect fondant! Oh the time - oh the cakes - oh - I am going to have so much fun!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

Hey Milly, I'm a little on the slow side myself, so can you clarify what you did differently that worked so well? Is it that you used a thicker layer of icing, or that you put it in the fridge or what? I always use a thick layer of icing and let it crust... is that what you did? (Crumb coat, my fanny... what is that worth? Haha!)

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 8

well if you're dumb, what does that make me??? icon_wink.gif

I'm to scared to try fondont again... my first attempt was, well, not so good (in nice words)! icon_cry.gif

Please, tell me the tricks!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

But won't the fondant slip and slide with out something to stick to?

MillyCakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 8

Melvira - I did both - I put on a thicker layer of icing and let it crust in the fridge! What a difference it made!!!! I am so excited! I hope it hold up!

Now if it works - I have never put together two tiers of fondant cakes before. I am scared the top tier won't "stick" to the bottom tier like with buttercream cakes. I never had to worry about them sliding with buttercream and powered sugar between the layers.

Oh well - live and learn!!!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 8

Grats on learning a new trick to make your life easier. I bet if you ask any of these long time decorators...they would say they still learn something new from time to time. So NO you are not dumb! Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%