The Perfect Chocolate Cake

Baking By chixbaby27 Updated 9 Apr 2005 , 10:56pm by AngelWendy

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 12

I looked through the recipes here and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for...at least I don't think I did. icon_confused.gif I saw the "chocolate cake" thread, but wasn't sure which of those would work best for what I want to try to do.

I want to make my dad a chocolate cake (the chocolatier the better for him!), ice with buttercream frosting and cover in chocolate mmf (which I've never used before, so it'll be new to me!)

I wondered if anyone has a cake that rises really well (or that makes enough batter that I could bake it in two of the really tall 8" pans and tort).

I'm new to decorating, so any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

11 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 12

The chocolatiest chocolate cake I've ever made was made using a chocolate cake mix (prep according to directions but replace water with milk), 1 Cup sourcream, 1 box of chocolate pudding and 1 Cup of chocolate chips. Bake at 325 for about an hour. It was almost too much chocolate for my tastes but a chocoholic would love it. It rises fine but is very dense. You would need to double the recipe to do 2 deep 8" cakes and you might have a little batter left over.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 12

There is a good scratch cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa container!

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake
2 c. sugar
1-3/4c. All purpose flour
3/4 c. Hershey's Cocoa (powder)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

Preheat oven to 350*

Grease & flour two 9" round pans. Combie dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin) Pour into pans and bake 30-35minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely before frosting

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 12

Cali4dawn has a recipe for "Chocolate Explosion Cake" and it would fit perfectly for what you want to do.
If you PM her she would be more than willing to share.

Edit note:
Oops icon_redface.gif , found it in this forum

Quote:
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dawn's Chocolate Explosion Cake:

Chocolate Explosion Cake

1 box Super Moist Devils Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup premium chocolate milk (I purchased an individual serving size container since we don't drink chocolate milk here)
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 eggs
1 container (16 ounces) sour cream
1 small package (4 serving size) chocolate instant pudding mix
1 bag (12 ounces or 2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pan.

Gently mix milk, butter, eggs and sour cream until eggs are incorporated. Add dry cake and pudding mixes. Mix until well blended. Batter will be very thick. Fold in chips. Spoon into pan(s).

Bake 55-65 minutes or until top springs back (toothpick will not be totally clean with this cake). Cool in pan 10 minutes and turn out on wire rack and cool completely.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 12

There's also a buttermilk devil food cake recipe from the cake mix docter that is really good. I just made one last night.

Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake (Cake Mix Doctor book)
1 box of devil's food cake mix
3 tablespoons of coco powder
1 1/3 buttermilk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

This is really good. I've gotten several compliments about this cake on more than one occasion.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

There's also a buttermilk devil food cake recipe from the cake mix docter that is really good. I just made one last night.

1 1/3 buttermilk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil

This is really good. I've gotten several compliments about this cake on more than one occasion.

I've been reading you and others rave about this recipe. It sounds like it would be the perfect amount of chocolate. Do you think it is? I want something that has the taste of a cakelike brownie (not the texture, just the taste). I think a plain chocolate mix cake is way too bland and the ones with added choc. pudding and chips are so chocolately sweet it almost burns my tongue.

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 12

OK, I'm undedecided between Cali4Dawn's chocolate cake and the buttermilk one...I'd have to buy less stuff for the buttermilk one, so I may try it this time.

With chocolate buttercream and ganache.

Yum. icon_lol.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 12

The buttermilk devil's food cake definitely has the taste of cakelike brownie taste. At least in my opinion.

If you want it very chewy you can add a box of cholocate instant pudding to an already pudding cake mix.

I did this earlier this week for a 3D cake and my family said it was very chewy.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

1 1/3 buttermilk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil

But there's no eggs in that. Is that correct?? That seems wrong. Also, where do you get buttermilk?? I don't think I've ever seen it at the grocery store. Hmm.

I'm definitely going to try Cali4Dawn's recipe for chocolate cake, though. I'm wondering if you have to use instant pudding. I have a lot of cook-pudding mixes that I'm wondering if I could use. Thanks!

~AngelWendy

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with MrsMissy, the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa is the best chocolate cake in my opinion.....I make it all the time, as a matter of fact, made it today for a customer. It is wonderfully chocolatety....a true chocoholic will love it!!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 12

AngelWendy

Thanks for catching that! The recipe calls for 3 eggs. I apologize for leaving this out.

I buy my buttermilk from the grocery store. Same section as milk, creamers, heavy cream, etc.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 12

In the recipe for Chocolate Explosion Cake, does the 1/3 cup melted butter replace the oil you usually add to cake mix? Just want to check because I'm going to make this one soon as a possibility for my wedding cake mix. Thanks!!!

AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%