Any Ideas On What Type Of Covering This Is????

Decorating By FaithsPlace Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 3:12am by cakesbyjess

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:55am
post #1 of 18

Hello ladies, I am trying to figure out what type of icing or fondant these little cakes are covered in....I would love to try to make them, they are sooo cute! Any ideas ??

Thanks Girls!

http://www.thehouseofsugar.com/

17 replies
rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:07am
post #2 of 18

Are you talking about the stylish miniatures? Maybe a poured icing?

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:12am
post #3 of 18

which cakes? the link just took me to their main page

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:21am
post #4 of 18

If you are talking about the miniatures, it might be a couple coats of melted, colored chocolate.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:49am
post #5 of 18

If you are talking about the Stylish Miniatures...... they may have been made with Dry Candy Fondant ( a fondant for candy and icings ), but I could be worng, Here is a site where you can find out more about the dry candy fondant.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/candyfillings.htm#fon

You can also read more information about what this is use for and how, even some recipes, and then they could be made the way in the post by AnythingSugar.

Hope this helps.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:55am
post #6 of 18

I'd think it's a pourable icing fondant. I've seen it on sites but I've never used it before.... I think CK makes one?

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 18

To me they look like a poured Icing of some sort.

Could be colored white chocolate ganauche or Poured Icing Fondant.

The little tiered cakes loke as if covered in regular rolled Fondant.

peggylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggylicious Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:16am
post #8 of 18

Did you guys notice they had photos of other decorators like silvia weinstock, Kate sullivan etc on their web site? I don't know why some people do this.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:43am
post #9 of 18

Can't you just mix water with fondant to make it runny? And then you have poured fondant??

icon_smile.gif

FaithsPlace Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 18

Hi girls, sorry I got busy yesterday and did not get back to this. Yes, I am talking about the minitures. They are sooo cute ! I think you all are right , it looks as though they have had something poured over them...Thank you for your help ladies. I am going to look some more on this. icon_biggrin.gif

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 18

Im looking side to side one cake from www.confetticakes.com and one from www.thehouseofsugar.com and they look the same... icon_confused.gif maybe some "computer changes" icon_confused.gif

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 18

icon_surprised.gif there's one from www.cakepower.com (kate sullivan) icon_eek.gif

FaithsPlace Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 18

Oh thank you so much for the sites!!

jackieaugusto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackieaugusto Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:53am
post #14 of 18

You know looking at the cakes that the two sites have in common it occurred to me that these people are buying stock photos and those cakes are not necessarily some that they have made. I feel cheated. I struggle to make my cakes and take pictures and them upload so I assumed they did the same only that their stuff is more professional. hhmmm

FaithsPlace Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #15 of 18

You know, I think you are right. It makes me feel cheated as well. A person should post pics of their products as is. I understand wanting to jazz something up to boost a customers interest but, I think the customer should see exactly what it is they are going to purchase.
There are times though that pics really do not do a product justice. In those instances I think it is in the best interest of the customer and baker to capture a picture that truly shows the cake as it is. Some of the pics I have taken look totally different then my cakes in real light. Thats a bummer! Just my thoughts!

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:06am
post #16 of 18

I found a website the other day of another decorator in my area that is using photos he's gotten off of 'theknot.com' I was annoyed thumbsdown.gif I don't like the idea of using someone else's work to sell your own.

FaithsPlace Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:11am
post #17 of 18

I think that is false advertising! Using someone elses work is cheating, lol.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:12am
post #18 of 18

I wonder if Kate (cakepower.com) or Elisa (confetticakes.com) know that their pictures are being used on other websites? Elisa's cake picture has even been photoshopped (different background), but it's definitely the exact same cake. That also makes me upset. icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%