Dumb Question!

Decorating By ken Updated 6 Feb 2006 , 3:20pm by TexasSugar

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 10:54am
post #1 of 5

OK...I know absolutely NOTHING about gumpaste but I happen to have some in my "cake cabinet". Is it possible for me to make edible pearls out of gumpaste because I don't have any fondant. If I order some fondant, it may be too late. From what I THINK I know, people don't usually eat gumpaste but I just don't know. Pleas help me out!!!!!!!!!

4 replies
cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 10:57am
post #2 of 5

Ken, I am like you I have a can of gumpaste mix in my cupboard, and have never used. I am not sure about using it for pearls. If you have some marshmallows you could make pearls with marshmallow fondant. It actually taste pretty good. As far as gumpaste being edible I am not sure.

Wilma

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 11:03am
post #3 of 5

I've heard that most people like the taste of the MMF better than the ready made Fondant. And it's really easy to make. The recipe is on here. I don't know about the gumpaste pearls either. I, like you two, have a can of gumpaste mix that I've never used. I plan on using it soon though icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 5

mmf is great for making pearls and it only has marshmallows powderd sugar and water so it's very easy to make. and yes you are very right it tastes much better than the store bought fondant. i found a site yesterday that shows how to make numerous beads using wilton and atteco tips and dusting powders.http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

it looks very easy to do and im sure you could use either gum paste or mmf. (most people in my experience don't eat gum paste. hope i helped ya a little.. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 5

I don't see why you couldn't make them with gumpaste, though I would definetly tell the customer NOT to eat the pearls.

From what I understand some of the pearls you buy are very hard, which is understandable if they are made from fondant then stored until someone orders them, so what is the difference?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%