First Choc Cake Request-What Recipe?

Decorating By klacrawford Updated 11 Mar 2007 , 1:31pm by SweetDolly

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:49am
post #1 of 7

Will a box mix work ok as far as taste and durability for stacking? Im not a choc cake person so I wouldnt know. I have done several white cakes from recipes on this site but never any choc.

6 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #2 of 7

The only chocolate recipe I ever use is the Darn Good Chocolate cake from this site. I do omit the chocolate chips, though, they are a bit much for me. I've never used this to do 3-D, but I have stacked a little with it. It is the base for the Mario cake in my gallery and it held up beautifully. And I always get rave reviews on it! I use the Milk Chocolate Betty Crocker mix with milk chocolate instant pudding. My mom told me today that it tastes like a Hershey bar (and she is not generous with her compliments!)

dkjjsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkjjsmom Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:02am
post #3 of 7

Shelbur,
When you add pudding to a box mix are you substituting for water or anything else? Also, I have heard of using coffee creamers for flavoring? What do you know about that? Thanks, Zola.

mlrojas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrojas Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 7

The chocolate cake recipe from Hershey's is very good. But if you want s box, I like BC Tripple Chocolate Fudge as well os DH Dark Chocolate. If you try Hershey's recipe, don't worry about the cup of boiling water at the end that makes the batter look like soup. Somehow it all works out.

As for a filling or frosting, I use this one from allrecipes. It is so addictive, even my daughter who swears she is not a chocolate fan can't keep away from it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Fudge-Buttercream-Frosting/Detail.aspx

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 7

I also am not a big chocolate cake fan but there is one I have found that I love. It is is the Cake Mix Doctor book and is so good and it is stable for stacking.

1 package Devils Food Cake mix
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

You can also add a box of chocolate pudding mix if you want an even denser cake. This is the only chocolate cake that I have ever like, nice and moist and just the right amount of chocolate taste!

CakeArtLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeArtLove Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by klacrawford

Will a box mix work ok as far as taste and durability for stacking? Im not a choc cake person so I wouldnt know. I have done several white cakes from recipes on this site but never any choc.

I have stacked boxed cakes ( 2 tiers) with no problem. But if your doing 3 tiers and using fondant, it might get a little heavy and buckel the cake.

Do you have the book "Cakes to Dream On" by Colette Peters? It has a great Choco Loco cake receipe with Bourbon in it . It's quite yummy, and also pretty firm. I have used that receipe to carve cakes as well. If you'd like the receipe I will post it for you. icon_smile.gif Gina

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 7

The only chocolate cake recipe I use is Darn Good Chocolate Cake from Cake Mix Doctor. I don't use the chocolate chips, but I do add a huge squirt (how do you like that for a technical measurement!) of Hershey's chocolate syrup to the batter. I use Duncan Hines Devil's Food and Jello Chocolate pudding. Rave reviews every time, no matter what the filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%