My Red Won't Get Really Red - Navy Blue Anyone?

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 11 Mar 2007 , 12:57am by midwestmom

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 12:38am
post #1 of 4

i made my icing yesterday for a cake for tomorrow and i was hoping my red would darken overnight. it's just a really bright pink. any suggestions?

also i was hoping to have some navy icing & i found a color chart that said violet & sky blue would make navy. I have a blue that's about the shade of blue in the luster/sparkle/pearl dust advertisement on the right side of the page. any suggestions for that?

3 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 12:53am
post #2 of 4

hmmmm, A lot of folks on here swear by the make pink to make red idea. First they will color the icing bright pink and then add the red. (yes you will have to use a lot of both to get the desired effect).
Now as for the navy blue, you want it really really dark right? Here's how I have done it in the past. Color your icing with royal blue very dark. Then add red and a touch of orange (not a lot of the orange, you will add this after you've colored the blue) K let me try to explain again ,sheesh, I am so confusing oi veh!
Color the frosting blue, then add itty bitty bit of orange, this will darken the blue, add just a smidgen of red to keep it from turning brown on ya.
Keep adding the orange til you get the color that you want. It should be like the lettering on the left side of the page there where you have your recipes. Or the same color as the lettering on the tabs at the top of the page.

LvMy4Runner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LvMy4Runner Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #3 of 4

I add brown when trying to make a dark deep red... just a little at a time. But it does take a lot of red coloring too.

I would think adding a bit of brown would work to get the Navy Blue too.

You can see my pics to see the reds and blues I've gotten by this method.

Good luck!

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help! I'll go and keep adding red & hope it darkens up. I've made red before so I can't quite figure out why it's still pink.
Yes I want a very dark navy blue. I will give your suggestions a try. thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%