Smooth Icing

Decorating By knittingirl Updated 5 Feb 2006 , 9:07pm by vande3boys

knittingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knittingirl Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 13

How doyou get your icing to look so smooth, and do certain types of icing work better with cake decorating? I haven't made my own icing yet, only used Wilton ready-made decorating icing, so I'm wondering if I should make my own royal or buttercream icing instead. I tried dipping my spreader in hot water and drying it to smooth my icing this morning, but it ends up pulling the icing away from the cake. Help - I'm new to this!

12 replies
MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 13

Welcome to CC. I am a newbie too. What a helpful, welcoming site this is. Everyone here is so nice an dwilling to answer any question.

I have read many posts on smoothing icing. A spatula from home depot is a popular one, also once you have iced your cake an dlet it sit a bit, they say to use a Viva paper towel and that it works wonders.

You best bet is to do a forum search on the topic and you will find all of the fabulous suggestions.

Be careful, I'm warning you, it is easy to get addicted!! icon_lol.gif

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 13

If you are using pre-made icing, check the consistancy. Is it thick, Medium, or thin? To icing a cake I have learned that it needs to be thin consistancy icing to get a smooth finish. Not runny. If it is too thick it will pull away from your cake. I have always made my own icing. I feel it gives me more control over the consistancy. Also, to a search on the paper towel method. This will give you a lot of tips.

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 13

As far as making your own thats what I would recomend. Find a recipe you like and start playing. My personel opinion I think homeade icing is better but I'm sure many people also like the pre made frosting. Just find what works for you and go at it. I like the viva method myself very easy to do.

Good luck

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 13

I use the spackling knife and paper towel method. To me, the design towels gives a nice background look to the cakes.

Also, I have started using the table napkins that have the designs and love them also.

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 1:26am
post #6 of 13

Viva paper towels are what I always use. I have always had great results with them!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 1:46am
post #7 of 13

Viva woman here too! I don't know what I did before finding out how to do that!

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 13

I also use the viva towels. I also use the dream whip icing.

Wilma

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 13

When I smooth my cakes I use copy paper. After the cake is iced let it set for about 5-10 minutes til the buttercream is has "crusted" then get a sheet of copy paper and start to smooth it. This gives it a very smooth surface. People think that it's fondant.

CanCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanCakeMom Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 13

is there a tutorial anywhere for the viva towel method.. i can't imagine it in my head. lol

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 13

Here is the tutorial for the viva method. I just use my own crusting buttercream, and smooth it as much as possible with my spatula, then use the viva paper towels. It makes it nice and smooth. http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant-The-Paper-Towel-Method----Viva.html

Wilma

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 13

I would use a crusting buttercream icing recipe and the viva paper towels. I recently purchased a putty knife from Home Depot and like it as well. I am still getting used to using it though! icon_biggrin.gif

vande3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vande3boys Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 13

I am frosting a cake with whip cream frosting and can never get it smooth like BC, it seems to be a little bumpy and a lot of spaces (if that makes sence). Any suggestions? I don't want a curved edge, I would like a sharp one if possible

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%