Football Color Trouble, Please Help Asap

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 5:14pm by chaptlps

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to get the right color for a football cake that I need by 3:00. Can someone tell me what colors to use ? I am using brown, but it just isn't the right color, do I add red or orange or something else too it ?

Someone please help, and fast.

Thanks a million.

6 replies
brightbrats Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

PLEASE SOMEONE, I NEED IT NOW . I AM AFRAID TO KEEP GOING OR I MAY MESS IT UP.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 7

There is one in my gallery where I just used brown ( no other colors ) via an airbrush....I thought it came out pretty close to an actual football. Not sure if you have an airbrush though or if this helps.

brightbrats Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

THAT CAKE IS AWESOME. ITS FUNNY THE CAKE I AM DOING IS THE COLTS TOO. THANKS FOR THE TIP, I'LL KEEP TRYING. AND NO I DON'T HAVE AN AIRBRUSH. icon_cry.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 7

One thing about brown is that it darkens a "lot" when it dries. So the color you see now will be way darker later.

rstml ~ that football cake is awesome. I wish mine looked that good!

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7

I think the thing that made it work was the variation in color. If you are doing a fondant football, why not try and "sponge" brown coloring onto it? I see what you mean about brown just not working by itself, but sponging or painting the brown color on would give it that variation. If you are doing bc, I'm not sure how that would work. Good luck!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 7

What shade is the brown coming out as? Is it a cool brown with kind of a bluish cast or is it a warm brown with an orangish cast to it?
I know kinda hard to explain in words without a pic or being there.
If it's too blue add just a drop of orange (the color opposite blue on the color wheel) to cancel the blue out. Do just the opposite if it's too orange. If it's way way off you'll need to restart, because you'll get a nice shade of nasty gray mud if you play with the colors too much.
here's a short list of colors that cancel each other out:
orange /blue
red/ green
yellow/ violet or purple
The opposite is true also, just switch the colors around for example if the purple is too bright then add just a touch of yellow.
If you want a darker earthier red just add a touch of green.
If you want a lovely dark dark brown then mix orange with a bit of blue to get the shade you want.
One thing I learned with color theory is "never, never, add black!!! All black does is suck up the light and you end up with a dead color. If you use complements of a certain color then you get a more vibrant darker shade of that color.

Sorry, I know, I know but I just wanted to add, you see the pic on my avatar? There isn't ANY black in there at all. Her dress was a mix of blue with orange and a touch of red (cadmium red, it's orangish).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%