Buttercream

Decorating By Marcia79 Updated 3 Feb 2006 , 1:41pm by gmcakes

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:46am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!!!!

I have three questions for you:

1) What's the best buttercream recipe you guys use (for pure white buttercream) ?? Can you post it, please!?

2) Any ideas on how to make it less sweet?

3) Can I use McCormick's Almond and butter extracts or will they change the color of the icing?

THANKS!!!

5 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:52am
post #2 of 6

Hi ~
1. PURE white buttercream uses all shortening. It is the wilton recipe posted on their site. Alot of people use 1/2 butter , 1/2 shortening instead but it wouldn't be PURE white.
2. Add a pinch of salt. This really helps!!
3. If the extracts are clear, it will not change the color but if they are not, they will change the color slightly.

Hope this helps!!
Julie

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:54am
post #3 of 6

1)I use the Wilton Snow-white Buttercream recipe...it can be found in any wilton yearbook

2)Not really sure how to make it less sweet, still trying to figure that one out myself! The wilton recipe mentioned above calls for salt, it helps to cut the sweetness in this recipe. (It makes a big difference if you forget and leave it out!)

3)The almond extract is clear, so it shouldn't affect the color. As for the butter flavoring, I use clear butter flavoring and clear vanilla...I always have a pure white icing!

HTH!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:56am
post #4 of 6

hiya marcia,
McCormicks has a clear vanilla and butter flavoring. Should be there right next to the other stuff.

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:57am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia79

Hi everyone!!!!

I have three questions for you:

1) What's the best buttercream recipe you guys use (for pure white buttercream) ?? Can you post it, please!?

2) Any ideas on how to make it less sweet?

3) Can I use McCormick's Almond and butter extracts or will they change the color of the icing?

THANKS!!!

Unless extracts are clear, yes they will tint the icing some. I only use pure vanilla in buttercream & it's ends up a creamy white. (BTW, I also use butter which has a slight yellow tint.) I am going to try 1 c. shortening, 1 lb. powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp. milk or water & 1 tsp. vanilla the next time I make buttercream. Before I used 1/2 c. shortening & 1/2 c. butter.

Cream shortening & add sugar 1 c. at-a-time. Add liquid ingred. & mix well, beating another min. or so to desired consistency. If wanting to ice cake, thin with 2 tsp. milk/water per cup of icing. Recipe makes about 3 cups.

I've tried adding a little salt to lessen the sweetness.

HTH,
bakersofcakes icon_smile.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 6

Oh! ...almost forgot! I use "popcorn salt"! It's a little trick I learned on this site. It breaks down faster a gives great results. Also, I put my salt and flavorings in while I am whipping the meringue powder (towards the end of this step). It helps me to avoid "overbeating" the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%