Flowers On Cakes... Do You Do Royal Or Buttercream Or Both?

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 12:51pm by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 2:53am
post #1 of 18

Once I learned Royal flowers, I loved the idea and used them ever since. I love how they harden up and are handleable and not so fragile, don't loose their shape, etc. However, the last few months, I've been trying to get back into doing Buttercream ones, because I'm thinking it's kinda strange to have to pick off the flowers before you can slice it. Now that I'm getting to the point of selling cakes, I wonder what you all do? I did a bridal shower cake a few weeks ago with Royal flowers that looked awesome, but when I mentioned they were hard like candy, the mother seemed almost confused. Now I'm almost leary of using Royal. I have two (free) cakes to do this weekend and feel limited in my design using buttercream only. I'm thinking of adding some royal ones in them too, but I've never mixed both on a cake, is that done normally?

17 replies
rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:00am
post #2 of 18

Royal is nice simply because you can make them ahead of time. If I make a cake with royal icing flowers, I don't use buttercream flowers....and vice versa. I did do a cake with both once, and the sharpness of the royal icing flowers made the softness of the buttercream flowers seem not so great.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #3 of 18

You can make bc flowers ahead as well, and freeze. I've never made a batch of RI in my life that I liked for anything, but that's personal preference. Anything I can't do in bc I do in fondant or gumpaste.

eieio1234 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 18

rlsaxe, that's true, the contrast wouldn't be good...

Zmama, I've done that with roses, but I've never attempted some of the royal flowers like that, like apple blossoms, pansys, etc. Have you done those in BC and frozen them? I figured they'd be too dainty and wouldn't freeze well enough.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 18

I actually take the best of both worlds and make all of my flowers out of air-dry buttercream....still is soft enough to eat and cut, but stiffens enough that you can handle it, even little drop flowers! Love it!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2278-0-Airdried-Buttercream-Icing.html

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbitfroggie

I actually take the best of both worlds and make all of my flowers out of air-dry buttercream....still is soft enough to eat and cut, but stiffens enough that you can handle it, even little drop flowers! Love it!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2278-0-Airdried-Buttercream-Icing.html

I can't wait to try this recipe. I always stayed away from Royal icing because it was so dull, ands don't like the idea of having to remove the flowers before the cake is eaten.

Does this recipe soften up to eat once put on the cake?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 18

I like both, but I feel I can do more in RI. I like being able to do them ahead of time, handle them easily, and I can do a 'trial run' of the placement on the back of a cake pan.

Just did this one in royal, but bc leaves. I was happy with it. I actually hadnt made any RI flowers in awhile and it was fun!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=merissa&cat=0&pos=0

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 18

I mostly use royal because I make lots and lots of violets, daisies, etc....ahead of time. I keep them in an air tight container and they keep a long time! They do soften up once on the cake a bit. They are very edible...chidren love them.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks for posting the link to the recipe. I usually do roses and freeze but sometinmes they are still hard to handle. I am anxious to try this. Could be a lifesaver. Most of my friends say the royal flowers are too hard. I quit making them.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 18

I just finished a floral cake in SMBC and froze the flowers before I put them on..violets, small apple blossoms, roses and a few I piped directly on the cake.
Worked very well with this type of icing, no problems at all placing them and held up perfectly when thawed..sat out for quite a few hours at work.

Loved the RI flowers but haven't done much with them..advantage is that you can really do them early and just have them ready to go.

springlakecake Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 18

REally pretty cake Jane! Reminds me of a whimsical bakehouse cake

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

I can't wait to try this recipe. I always stayed away from Royal icing because it was so dull, ands don't like the idea of having to remove the flowers before the cake is eaten.

Does this recipe soften up to eat once put on the cake?

I was never able to get my RI the right consistency to pipe flowers, and freezing works for the bigger flowers, but not for small drop flowers, etc. I have used this on all of my flowers since, and since you can store it, I can store all my extras for later use, just like RI...best of both worlds. Yes, they soften right up after being put on the cake, actually all the kids at my DD's Bday party were fighting over them, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpam

Thanks for posting the link to the recipe. I usually do roses and freeze but sometinmes they are still hard to handle. I am anxious to try this. Could be a lifesaver. Most of my friends say the royal flowers are too hard. I quit making them.

I have hot hands, so this happens to me too, they end up melting and becoming to hard to handle...and this solved the problem!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 18

I like using buttercream, if you have a crusting recipe you can make days ahead and let them dry a little.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 18

I LOVE Royal and gumpaste flowers. Buttercream, for me, is reserved for when I have no time. I don't think there's any comparison between BC and the other two. It's a learning process tho....you have to walk before you can run, and I learned on BC. AS someone has said....it's such a treat to have them ready made in advance and not have that stress when you're doing the actual decorating. Just my personal opinion!

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 18

I use royal icing all the time for a couple reasons. I like doing them in advance because it makes decorating time go faster. I also like the royal icing taste better than buttercream. And finally, I have a terrible time transferring buttercream ones from the nail to the cake, and I don't like doing them directly on the cake. It usually takes me several attempts to get a flower right, and with royal icing, I only have to use the really good ones!

eieio1234 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 12:33pm
post #16 of 18

merissa, your cake is gorgeous! And exactly why I love Royal! I know I couldn't do that out of buttercream, especially for placement, like you said. I've frozen roses of BC (some in the freezer right now for todays cake!) but it's still not the same, one I put on yesterday's cake got small cracks along a leaf edge from getting placed, that doesn't happen w/royal!
BTW, what green color did you use for your leaves? Lately I've had a hard time getting it right and have used 3 different greens mixed together to get a more color look like yours.

Momofjakeandjosh, I also have a hard time transferring them from the nail! I'm afraid they'll plop face down in the wrong spot! Even frozen ones thaw super quick I think.

ribbitfroggie thanks for that recipe, I'll give it a try, it would be nice to have something that's the best of both worlds!

springlakecake Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:54am
post #17 of 18

eieio: I love avacado green (americolor) for leaves or juniper green (wilton)

eieio1234 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:51pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks Merissa! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%